Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
addihetja
New Contributor

Site-to-site: FortiGate to SonicWall

Maybe my duckduckgo (read: googling) skills leave something to be desired, but I cannot for the life of me get my FortiGate 51E to connect to a SonicWall TZ210.

I have found https://support.software.dell.com/kb/sw13566 and http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/viewContent.do?externalId=11657 and while the instructions seem to cover the current SonicWall interface accurately, the FortiGate interface described in the articles seem out of date.

The net result is that the tunnel doesn't work; the SonicWall gives me a "IKE Initiator: Start Quick Mode (Phase 2)." in the log, but nothing more.

Does anyone know of a more recent write-up for FortiGates and SonicWalls?

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

One of our customers has Main mode IPSec (site-to-site) vpn between their Sonicwall to our FG1500D, but we didn't have to change anything specific for Sonicwall and just configured the same way we would do for FG to FG and it's working. We use the interface mode IPSec. You probably need to do sniffing and IKE application debugging at least on the FG side to see what's going on.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

If I can chime in

1: Don't figure it like a fgt-2-fgt with typical quad 0.0.0.0s ( aka 0.0.0.0:0 )

2: set the proxy-ids for specific local/remote subnets  ( aka src-subnet and dst-subnets)

Here's how we have a simple tunel cfg from  a TLZ to  FGT110C

SONICWALL

ZONE INSIDE  10.10.0.0/24

ZONE REMOTE 10.11.0.0/24 (FGT )

MD5

PSK  8charactersDHGRP5

PROPOSAL AES128

( if you enable PFS enable it on  the  FGT ( it should be on by default )

SET SA-keepAlives

FGT

config vpn ipsec phase1-interface

edit "FGT2SONIC"         set interface "port1"         set nattraversal disable         set keylife 28800         set proposal   aes128-md5         set dpd disable         set dhgrp 5         set remote-gw x.x.x.x <-sonic wall address         set psksecret dellsonicwall <-use a strong PSK     next end

config vpn ipsec phase2-interface

edit "FGT2SONICP2"                    set phase1name "FGT2SONIC"         set proposal aes128-sha1         set pfs disable         set keepalive enable         set auto-negotiate enable         set keylifeseconds 3600         set src-subnet 10.11.0.0 255.255.255.0         set dst-subnet 10.10.0.0 255.255.255.0     next

config router static

edit  777

set dst 10.10.0.0/24

set dev  FGT2SONIC

end

And apply your firewall policies

config firewall adress

edit local

set subnet 10.11.0.0/24

next

edit remote

set subnet 10.10.0.0/24