Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
eyerule
New Contributor

Show Forward Error Correction (FEC) in FAZ reporting

Hi All,

We are using FEC on some FortiGates. I would like to see that is actually is working. For example how many redundant packets are being sent.
Does any one know how to build a FortiAnalyzer query for this?

3 REPLIES 3
Jean-Philippe_P

Hello eyerule, 

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
Jean-Philippe_P

Hello eyerule,

We are still looking an answer for your question.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
gfleming
Staff
Staff

Hi eyerule, FEC is something that is always working in the background. It's not necessarily something that IMO would generate interesting reports.

FEC essentially is configured to send parity, or redundant, data packets across the link—typically an IPSec tunnel.

These packets are sent at a prescribed interval and quantity and enabled on a per-firewall policy basis.

So if you want to ensure it's working I would say the best way to tell is to run a packet capture and ensure you're seeing the redundant packets flowing across the link.

Another indirect way of monitoring FEC's functionality would be to monitor for packet loss on your WAN link and show that your packet loss on the IPSec overlay is reduced or nil.

Cheers,
Graham
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors