Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
shawn-ev
New Contributor III

Should AP's use different channels on the same SSID

Hello. We have two FAP-432F's setup as a MESH at one of our construction sites. One of the AP's is connected to the FortiSwitch and configured as the ROOT, the other is configured as a LEAF.

- Both APs have the same 3 SSIDs assigned; "Corp", "Guest", and the "MESH" SSIDs.

- Both APs are configured to use the same channels in the 2.4 GHz (1,6,11) and 5 GHz bands (all).

- Both APs show online under Managed FortiAPs.

SOMETIMES I will see clients on the LEAF AP, while other times I will see an interference error. I'm assuming this because both APs may be using the same channel at the same time. I've tried to manually set the channels on each, but the configuration does not persist.

I've learned the "same channel vs different channel" argument seems to vary by vendor and hardware. What is the best/correct configuration for Fortinet devices?

I also have power set to 50% for the 2.4GHz channel, and 100% for the 5GHz channel (it's a big construction site). Should I set these both to auto?

Thank you for your time!

1 Solution
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

As explained also in the guide here, it's better to dedicate a radio for the backhaul SSID. Depending on the type of end host you have, if they are old hosts and far away maybe let the 2.4Ghz radio for the hosts and the 5Ghz radio for AP communications. The radio that is used for AP communication will be on the same channel for both APs. The radios that will serve hosts can be in different channels to avoid overlapping.

Since the AP are managed by the same controller leaving the power and channel options to auto is the recommended way.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

As explained also in the guide here, it's better to dedicate a radio for the backhaul SSID. Depending on the type of end host you have, if they are old hosts and far away maybe let the 2.4Ghz radio for the hosts and the 5Ghz radio for AP communications. The radio that is used for AP communication will be on the same channel for both APs. The radios that will serve hosts can be in different channels to avoid overlapping.

Since the AP are managed by the same controller leaving the power and channel options to auto is the recommended way.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
shawn-ev
New Contributor III

Thank you very much!

ebilcari

Happy to help!

- Emirjon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors