Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nomorewires
New Contributor

Setting up Meru 1550 for SOHO

Hi all,

I'm new Meru and have a few questions on the setup.  My network consists of a Meru 1500 running code 8.2-4-0, Cisco ASA 5506X and Cisco 3750 POE switch.  My 1550 is online and on the network.  I'm able to access the controller via web browser.  I configured my ASA with two separate VLANs (Data and Wireless).  I configured my management on VLAN 100 (192.168.1.X) and my AP's on VLAN 200 (192.168.3.X).  I see that my AP's are getting an IP but do not show up on my controller.  If I connect the AP's to the same VLAN as the management they show up on the controller but Disabled / Offline.  Not sure where I'm going wrong. 

Please help

1 REPLY 1
markdr_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi there,

Before putting your AP's into a separate subnet, make sure you configure them for L3 preferred in the connectivity section, otherwise they'll be trying to find the controller via L2 broadcast. You should also have DNS configured for the controller's host name, and have routing configured between the subnet where the AP's reside and the controller.

In terms of VLAN's, user/data VLAN's need to be tagged traffic and the AP management VLAN is untagged.

If the AP's show up as Online but disabled it is likely because their firmware does not match the controller. Turn on Auto-Ap-update or run a manual upgrade on the CLi (#upgrade ap 8.2-4 <id> force)

8.2-7 is the best release for you - depending on your AP model which you have not disclosed. If you have old AP's like the AP320 then you can only run up to version 7 firmware, ver 8 is not supported on old hardware. Version 7.0-10 is the latest v7 release.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Ribbans
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors