Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ast1300n
New Contributor

Setting source-IP on IPSEC VPN interface

Several cookbooks and VPN manuals reference the following in their troubleshooting sections:

"On some FortiGate units, such as the FortiGate 94D, you cannot ping over the IPsec tunnel without first setting a source-IP. In this scenario, you must assign an IP address to the virtual IPSEC VPN interface. Anything sourced from the FortiGate going over the VPN will use this IP address."

How do I set the source-IP of my IPSEC VPN interface?  I'd like to be able to ping from our firewalls to each other after creating the tunnel.

10 REPLIES 10
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Go to either GUI "Network->Interface" and select your tunnel interface name then "Edit".

There should be "Address" section includes "IP" and "Remote IP". You can use any IPs but both go into the routing table as connected /32 routes. Then make sure you allow "PING" in "Restrict Access" section.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

I don't think the GUI exposes the source IP for IPsec interface vpns in 5.4.x.  It only allows you to set the remote IP.  I have set my local ip through the CLI as follows:

conf vpn ipsec phase1-interface

edit <ipsec-name>

set local-gw IP.IP.IP.IP

end

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

It should let you. The attachment is from my home FG50E w/ 5.4.6.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Ah, interface ip vs ipsec gateway ip.  Thanks for the info Toshi.

LuisMLG
New Contributor

Toshi I did what you said.

IP: 10.255.255.17

remote IP: 10.255.255.18/30

In the other device, I did the same para changing the IPs. I checked the PING access on both interfaces.

But it doesn't work.

What I missed?

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you running 5.6.3? otherwise you shouldn't be able to set the prefix length /30 on remote-ip as I showed in GUI. My 50E is 5.4.8.

And is the other end supposed to be pingable? Another FG or something else? If it's supposed to be but still not pingable the tunnel is not up. Is the tunnel actually up?

LuisMLG

Hi Toshi,

Yes, both fortigate devices are in 5.6.3

Both are pingable.

The tunnel is up and running.

I was thinking that maybe the IPs which I set in the VPN interfaces should belong to the networks which are configured to pass through the tunnel? I didn't test yet.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Check the routing table (get router info routing-t all, or database). Even if there are some super subnets you wouldn't have the same /30 or /32 subnet in it. Both sides should show up in the table with 'C' - connected, and with the vpn interface name.

Also check trusthost too.

LuisMLG

Everything that you say was fine. But finally, I found the issue. The addressing that you use in the ends of the tunnel has to belong to the addressing which is configured to pass through the tunnel (phase 2).

Now all is working, thanks for the help!!!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors