Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
robertwb2
New Contributor

Setting Available Bandwidth - Traffic Shaping

Ok, so I think I probably have a pretty basic question here, but something I need guided on! We have a 40mbps connection, with 50mbps available if needed for a burst. I want to some pretty simple traffic shaping with that traffic to prioritize data thru the VPN and the other general web traffic. I want to be able to guarantee certain data to the VPN and maybe a few other minor applications. Anyway, my question is, where it is the setting to let the Fortigate know how much bandwidth is available to use? Or is that set in the Traffic Shaping rules?? And I am using a Fortigate 100D Thanks so much!
3 REPLIES 3
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

rwpatterson pretty much summons up how to set the available bandwidth in this thread. Also keep in mind that the default traffic shapers are individual traffic shapers (unless you change the default setting to make fw policies sharing that same traffic shaper).

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
robertwb2
New Contributor

Thanks so much Dave! That thread did explain a lot! There is no place other than the CLI to set the bandwidth speed?? Did I read that right?? Thanks Robert
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

There is no place other than the CLI to set the bandwidth speed?? Did I read that right??
Pretty much. The fgt has some 60+ individually interface options -- a little hard and unyielding to provide a GUI for every single configuration setting. Read the CLI Reference guide for a full list of options you can set on the Interface. (Page 465 for 4.3 MR3. Page 544 for 5.0.)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors