Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ikovac
New Contributor

Serious error - fortisniff2.sys driver causing BSOD in Win 8.1

Recently fortisniff2.sys driver has caused multiple BSODs on our Win 8.1 computers when waking from sleep. We have tried to find the cause and ran into this which states different Forticlient driver, but is otherwise very similar issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/getting-multiple-bsod-since-upgrading-to-win-81/c84de019-e84e-494e-9ac1-848674e63755 Can someone from Fortinet comment on this please? We use registered 5.2.1.0605 clients. Thanks in advance, Ivan
1 Solution
kolawale_FTNT

Wondering if your FortiClient installation conflicts with other third-party software. Consider raising a support ticket if you have not already done so. An output of the FortiClient_Diagnostic_Tool will be useful. So is any kernel memory dump file from the BSoD. Post the ticket number once you have one. In the meantime, FortiSniff2 is used by Application Firewall. If you are not using this feature, you can request from the Support Engineer how to shut it down.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kolawale_FTNT

Wondering if your FortiClient installation conflicts with other third-party software. Consider raising a support ticket if you have not already done so. An output of the FortiClient_Diagnostic_Tool will be useful. So is any kernel memory dump file from the BSoD. Post the ticket number once you have one. In the meantime, FortiSniff2 is used by Application Firewall. If you are not using this feature, you can request from the Support Engineer how to shut it down.
ikovac

kolawale_FTNT wrote:

Thanks, I have raised a ticket, and it is now escalated to L2 support. We are currently testing the new installations with new drivers they have sent us. I guess it is more serious than just random Windows error, but we are very happy with the support so far.

BL97Ih
New Contributor

I'm having BSOD's (Error: Page fault in nonpaged area - fortisniff2.sys) as well with FortiClient 5.2.1.0605 on Windows 8.1, but not in relation to sleep mode.

It has occurred when:

- Using TeamViewer

- Browsing LinkedIn on Firefox

ikovac
New Contributor

BL97Ih wrote:

I'm having BSOD's (Error: Page fault in nonpaged area - fortisniff2.sys) as well with FortiClient 5.2.1.0605 on Windows 8.1, but not in relation to sleep mode.

It has occurred when:

- Using TeamViewer

- Browsing LinkedIn on Firefox

We also have Teamviewer as a part of baseline installation. But I haven't used it when it BSODed. No Firefox btw. Hm.

Adrian_Lewis

Had quite a lot of this on Windows 7 starting with the 5.2.1 FortiClient. Teamviewer installed but not used in months. Doesn't appear to be related to any common activities either - just at random.

danielkr
New Contributor

I had this error come up rebooting a system after installation of 5.2.1.0605.  It was an HP 6500 desktop.  It wasn't until hitting the Accept key on registration that the issue occurred (BSOD), then rebooting got the BSOD repeatedly before hitting the Windows login gui. 

Safe mode, removed Forticlient, installed latest NIC driver (Broadcom/HP), installed FortiClient, issue resolved. 

danielkr

stuberman
New Contributor

I had a similar problem on my Macintosh 10.9 using FCT 5.2.1

Removing and reinstalling resolved the blue screens.

It also seemed to related to registration to the Fortigate.

FGT-60E; FGT-90D; FGT-100E; FGT-600D; FGT-1000D; FGT-3000D; FGT-VM on Azure

FAZ-3000D; FWB-VM on Azure; FAZ on Azure; FAC-VM

FGT-60E; FGT-90D; FGT-100E; FGT-600D; FGT-1000D; FGT-3000D; FGT-VM on Azure FAZ-3000D; FWB-VM on Azure; FAZ on Azure; FAC-VM
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors