Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
zLade
New Contributor

Same VLAN on 3 vdoms connected to the same port

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to configure this setup but my fortigate 100d reject me because it doesn't want to configure the same vlan id.

It works if there is 3 differents vlan id but it's not that i want because there a switch with multiple network devices connected to this firewall which communicates on this vlan.

How can i solve this please ?

Thanks !

4 REPLIES 4
hallodri
New Contributor

AFAIK this is only possible with a VDOM in transparent mode in front of the other VDOMs. Each VDOM needs a vlink to the transparent VDOM. But I have never tried this.

zLade
New Contributor

Ok thanks you, but transparent mode is not really efficient i think for my usage.

Someone as another solution ?

Sylvia
Contributor II

I agree with hallodri - it's not possible with the same vlan id on the same interface.

Assume that a packet flagged with vlan id 50 arrives at port1. How should the Fortigate decide to which VDOM this packet belongs?

So, different vlan id or different ports...

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You can't do that and I don't see how you could expect that to work. a vlanid is unique per sub-interface. Why must you use vlanid 50 on the same port and to the same VDOMs? Please explain your objective and goal, any maybe we can find  an alternative solution.

A vlan-tag is a layer2 and if you tried to craft  a subinterface reusing a  vlanid & the sub-intf references the same physical interface, the fortigate will complain.

i.e ( warning )

vlanid and physical interface must be a unique pair

Keep in mind you can't really run 802.1q tag over vlink-interface ( ethernet type )  but some  FTNT documents reference this is available but YMMV by FortiOS and model type.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors