Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Pasan
New Contributor

Same IP address reservation for two interfaces of a PC

Hi,

LAN interfaces of our laptops are assigned with an IP address. But, when they are using Wi-Fi, they need another IP address. As IP addresses are limited, I'm seeking a way to reserve the same IP address through DHCP, when they are connecting to the network using LAN interface or Wi-Fi. Is this possible?

4 REPLIES 4
akristof
Staff
Staff

Hello,

DHCP supports IP reservation based on mac address, not sure if this is what you are looking for. 

Adrian
Pasan
New Contributor

Hi,

Yes. But the thing is LAN adaptor and Wi-Fi adaptor has separate MAC addresses. In that case I have reserve two IP addresses for both network adaptors. What I need is to assign one IP address for both network adaptors like link aggregation. As an example 192.168.1.1 for ethernet adaptor when the user is using LAN cable. Then when he unplugged the cable and start using Wi-Fi, the same IP address should be assigned.

akristof

Well, in theory, you can put together your lan and wifi interface together into software-switch and assign IP and DHCP on that software switch. But still, you will not be able to reserve same IP address to 2 different mac addresses, at least not on DHCP directly on FortiGate. Not sure if other DHCP servers can support it.

Adrian
Pasan

Yes. But the thing is LAN adaptor and Wi-Fi adaptor has separate MAC addresses. In that case I have reserve two IP addresses for both network adaptors. What I need is to assign one IP address for both network adaptors like link aggregation. As an example 192.168.1.1 for ethernet adaptor when the user is using LAN cable. Then when he unplugged the cable and start using Wi-Fi, the same IP address should be assigned.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors