Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rkulow
New Contributor

SSL VPN with computer certificate

Hi there,

I want to level up the security of our SSL-VPN (tunnel mode). 

We have to make sure that vpn connections only possible from devices of our managed infrastructure.

Is it possible to use computer certificates as additional authentication requierement? I have already read about  user certificates, but only for local users. We use LDAP group search for authentication and it seems not possible to bind certifcates to this usergroup.

In this case it would be nice if I could enroll computer certificates over active directory and foritgate check these certs during the authentication. 

Is this possible. If not, are there any other possibilities to increase vpn security?

6 REPLIES 6
ed_b
New Contributor

I'm also trying to implement something like this so we can lock down the Forticlient to authorized domain computers. All docs seem to mention user certs. 

Anyone know if computer certificates can be used?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I never heard of a enforcement of a "computer certificate". I would look at host/client side checks. Here you could allow  window versions that you company uses

examples

maybe you have only win10 and want to disallow all earlier WinOSes

maybe you have a seed list of ether_address  AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA

that alone with a user certificate , should be more than enough

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ed_b
New Contributor

Unfortunately client checking is only supported on Windows and we are heavily mac on the client side, otherwise I'd use that. Host check with Mac address might be the only option. Any other ideas?
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You could use the  enforce  EMS management at the end-point. Machine certificate is NOT want you need or should be using imho.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
yesh
New Contributor

http://cookbook.fortinet.com/ssl-vpn-using-ldap-integrated-certificates/

This will work for you. Unfortunately , I am looking for client certificate with Radius authentication for users which is not supported.

ed_b
New Contributor

Thanks for that - may work for us. 

If anyone from Fortinet is reading - please implement client check on Forticlient for Mac! Would make life so much easier.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors