Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ABUELKHAIR
New Contributor III

SSL VPN upload and download limit ?

I have a complain about the SSL VPN without split tunnel speed from user using the FG81E  

Only 2 users connected 

The bandwidth in the office were the FG is connected is Upload 10Mbps and download 70Mbps 

When i connect to the VPN using my FortiClient i got only  Upload 10Mbps and download 6-9Mbps only

IS this normal as i did tested to VPV to another Fortigate FG61E and i got the same result 

Did the test from different locations getting same result   

IS this limitation from the no Split tunnel ?

6 REPLIES 6
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

You said your circuit is 70M/10Mbps. And I'm assuming the SSL VPN accesses the FGT through the same internet circuit that the speed test goes through and reach the test server on the internet. In other words "hairpin" situation.

If that's correct, I wouldn't expect more than 10Mbps (or much lower due to hairpin) for both upload and download speeds bottolnecked by the circuit's upload speed.

Instead, if the Clients are coming from "inside" of the FGT, I would expect similar to the circuit bandwidths.

Toshi

haiduongacm

toshiesumi wrote:

You said your circuit is 70M/10Mbps. And I'm assuming the SSL VPN accesses the FGT through the same internet circuit that the speed test goes through and reach the test server on the internet. In other words "hairpin" situation.

If that's correct, I wouldn't expect more than 10Mbps (or much lower due to hairpin) for both upload and download speeds bottolnecked by the circuit's upload speed.

Instead, if the Clients are coming from "inside" of the FGT, I would expect similar to the circuit bandwidths.

Toshi

hi Toshi

I have VPN site to site Ipsec with 80D and 140D, 300Mbps and 250Mbps, why when i copy file it very slow, from 4MB to <10MB, and why ?

Thanks Toshi

ede_pfau

@OP: please stay on the respective thread, here: speed between FortiClient and FG-81E, and your other thread about the 80D/140D. Otherwise, answers will be cluttered over multiple threads.

You didn't answer Toshi's questions, though.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
ABUELKHAIR
New Contributor III

i am connecting to the VPN from other networks to the main FG-81E using SSL VPN and using the forti clients 

When i test my connection before the VPN i can see its like 70-90Mbps download/upload 

But when im connect to my non split tunnel i got only max of 10Mbps Download and upload 

IS this limitation of non split tunnel ? 

i did tested to enable the DTLS Tunnel on both client and FG with no luck

i did changed the VPN algorithm encryption to medium with no Luck 

oshaka125
New Contributor

Using a VPN doesn’t increase the speed of the internet. It also depends on your provider and the protocol you are using. They sometimes increase the speed of the internet by 5-10% but the thing is VPN isn’t made to increase the speed of your internet. It’s my personal experience that VPN slows the speed of the internet. At first, I didn’t know that it’s because of the VPN that I was facing trouble with the speed of the internet. To whoever is facing this issue I would recommend you to check the speed of your internet here if you are using a VPN https://www.allspeedtest.com/ It will help you find out the actual problem.

ABUELKHAIR
New Contributor III

HI @oshaka125

i am not looking to increate the speed 

i need the user to use the available speed from his home and office (The vpn FG) devise 

but its limited to 5-9Mbps although the remote and HP speed are more that 70Mbps and dont know the reason why the speed is limited 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors