Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Shagma
New Contributor

SSL-VPN group member failed to logged in

Firmware version is v5.2.1,build618

I have a user which is matched on a LDAP server. The user also has a FortiToken assigned, but I don't think that's relevant.

The user is a member of a firewall local group. This group is added to the SSL policy (under Source Address, Source User(s)).

When I try to log in the user through the FortiClient, I receive "Permission denied. (-455)".

The Fortigate logs: sslvpn_login_unknown_user.

I tried to set the users password to local as well, that did not work either.

However, if I add the user directly to the policy, I can log in. 

It seems that the policy does not process groups, only users. Is this correct? Then what do we need groups for?

1 Solution
npc423
New Contributor

Shagma wrote:

GCOMM wrote:

I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms on 5.2.2. We don't use ldap often, so I can't say whether it broke before upgrading or not. Did you happen to find a solution?

No, I am sorry to say I have not found a good solution. I have currently settled for adding users one by one to the firewall policy.

I have been setting up a Fortigate 90D for the first time. I came across this issue.

It was fixed by adding both sAMAccountName in the Common Name Identifier field, and my domain (dc=mydomain,dc=local) in the Distinguished Name field.

I was under the impression that if I left both empty, Fortigate would use the entire forest, and any login attribute. This did not work, and I kept receiving failed logins. Once I entered values, authentication started working.

Do you have both fields filled in?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
max_monterumisi
New Contributor

I had the same problem and it took me two hours to solve it!! 

PROBLEM: the problem is how the 5.2.1 import the user.

SOLUTION: after the users creation, rename the user (User & Device -> Users definition) exactly as on "cn" field of Active Directory

EXAMPLE: on Active Directory you have this user:

cn=Pippo Franco,cn=myUsers,DC=myDomain,DC=local

when this user login in Windows it use myDomain\pippo.franco account.

When you ad the user from LDAP on Fortigate 5.2.1 it's create a new user named pippo.franco but If you try login on SSL VPN receive on the logs sslvpn_login_unknown_user error, the same errore if you use Pippo Franco, because this user not exist in Fortigate users definition.

To undestand better: If you using by CLI the command:

diag test authserver ldap "Server LDAP" pippo.franco password123

you have the same problem, but if you use the command:

diag test authserver ldap "Server LDAP" "Pippo Franco" password123

all work!

Then you must change the user name on User & Device -> Users pippo.franco in Pippo Franco and now all work well.

Shagma
New Contributor

Hi, thx for reply!

I'm not sure our problems are the same. My LDAP server is configured with sAMAccountNAme as common name identifier on the Fortigate. When I run diag test authserver ldap with the sAMAccountName i get a successful authentication.

GCOMM
New Contributor

I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms on 5.2.2. We don't use ldap often, so I can't say whether it broke before upgrading or not. Did you happen to find a solution?

Shagma
New Contributor

GCOMM wrote:

No, I am sorry to say I have not found a good solution. I have currently settled for adding users one by one to the firewall policy.

npc423
New Contributor

Shagma wrote:

GCOMM wrote:

I have been setting up a Fortigate 90D for the first time. I came across this issue.

It was fixed by adding both sAMAccountName in the Common Name Identifier field, and my domain (dc=mydomain,dc=local) in the Distinguished Name field.

I was under the impression that if I left both empty, Fortigate would use the entire forest, and any login attribute. This did not work, and I kept receiving failed logins. Once I entered values, authentication started working.

Do you have both fields filled in?

yanivhs
New Contributor

thank you npc423, finally a good explanation.

Just to make it clearer the "Common Name Identifier" field  should contain only sAMAccountName.

not something like cn=sAMAccountName.

Is there a way to use the LDAP users without adding them to the user list on the FW?

ie, the FW will check if the user have the "dial in" right.

westekim
New Contributor II

I had a similar (if not same) problem and the first reason was that I didnt use sAMAccountName. When I changed that it started working for some users but not all. Now it seems like it doesn't work with nested groups.

For example, User1 is a member of Group1 and Group1 is a member of VPNUsers. User2 is a member of VPNUsers directly. In this case User2 can log in but User1 can not.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors