Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gcarvalho
New Contributor III

SSL Certificate for Fortigate and FortiAuthenticator

Hello Team,

We’d like to acquire an SSL certificate to use in the Guest Portal of FortiAuthenticator, but I have some doubts:

- The certificate needs to be issued to a public domain (public dns resolvable) or could I use a local domain (mycompany.local)?

Example, issuing the certificate to the CN fac.mycompany.local would work? I ask it, because the company doesn’t have a public domain (mycompany.com, for example).

The second and last doubt is if I can use a certificate with wildcard, for example issued to *.mycompany.local, is that possible in the FortiAuthenticator? And in the FortiGate, is that possible to use certificate with wildcard too?

Cheers,

Gui

Cheers,
Gui
Cheers,Gui
1 Solution
Debbie_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Dear Gui,

- You can set any server certificate on FortiAuthenticator you want

-> your clients simply need to trust it

-> ideally, you want to ensure that the certificate subject matches FortiAuthenticator hostname (if your users access the captive portal via hostname) or the Subject Alternative Name includes the FortiAuthenticator's IP

-> if you go the hostname route, your clients need to be able to resolve it (via an internal DNS for example)
-> You can use the same wildcard certificate for FortiAuthenticator and FortiGate, provided their hostnames match the wildcard certificate

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Debbie_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Dear Gui,

- You can set any server certificate on FortiAuthenticator you want

-> your clients simply need to trust it

-> ideally, you want to ensure that the certificate subject matches FortiAuthenticator hostname (if your users access the captive portal via hostname) or the Subject Alternative Name includes the FortiAuthenticator's IP

-> if you go the hostname route, your clients need to be able to resolve it (via an internal DNS for example)
-> You can use the same wildcard certificate for FortiAuthenticator and FortiGate, provided their hostnames match the wildcard certificate

gcarvalho

Hello Debbie,

I hope you are doing very well.

Thanks for your reply.

So, even with a Certificate issued by a trusted (public) CA, I can insert a hostname with a .local domain, correct? I was thinking that public certificate only works with public domains.

Once we will use this certificate for guest users, we will acquire a certificate from a trusted CA, like DigiCert, so the guest's browser natively trusts the certificate.

Cheers,
Gui
Cheers,Gui
Debbie_FTNT

That should work, to my knowledge - your clients do need an internal DNS though, to resolve the .local domain of FortiAuthenticator/FortiGate.

gcarvalho

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Gui
Cheers,Gui
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors