Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
menatwork
New Contributor II

[SOLVED] Weird behavior of 2 clients periodically trying to connect to xxx sites

Hi,

this is for sure no direct problem of Fortinet, but I hope, that some of you had this issue in the past. We have got 2 clients, which periodically (not at a fixed time, but every 2-3 days in the week) try to connect to xxx sites. The connections get initiated every 1-4 seconds. In this timespan numerous xxx sites try to get opened, but our Fortigate blocks the connection attempt cause of web-filtering.

In first instance we scanned the clients for malware, we scanned for browser hijackers, we did a browser-clean-up / reset, but the behaviour appears again.

The user insists that he is not trying to open such sites, which seems to be right, cause he cannot open different sites every second.

For me it seems like that there is some kind of automatism opening these sites. Perhaps its a webpage which can be opened from the userside and then the webpage tries to open these sites.

My concern: How can I track down these problem? I am using forticloud, but can not see any pattern for this case.

Thanks a lot!

4 REPLIES 4
menatwork
New Contributor II

Just checked it!

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Could you please elaborate how you solved the issue? Maybe we can take away something from your experience then. Thx.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
menatwork
New Contributor II

Never trust a user!

We investigated today that the users are using google-picture-search to view XXX pics which lead to the  numerous blocked **bleep**ograpy-websites in our logs. The pictures are viewed in google-pic-search and I assume, that background-connections to the XXX sites are blocked.

We are now looking into it to block such content from google (perhaps safe-search would be an option on the forti).

Insane!

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah, sure, thanks for sharing.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors