Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mcdaniels
New Contributor

[SOLVED] Fortigate 60C dead - All Lan lights on, status dark, no connection possible

Hi folks,

unfortunatly it seems like that one of my Fortigate 60C units quit service.

It starts with a forever blinking Status LED (No LAN connect possible),

after that (and some power on / off action) the device suddenly was up again (I was able to log in, LAN/WAN/Status-LED ok),

after another reboot, the FG did the same again (STATUS LED blinking, no LAN connect possible),

then I started the power on/off game again and was able to get the device up again.

When the device was up, it worked (connections were up and working). So I decided to do a firmware-upgrade.

All seems to run well, but after a few minutes the FGT started over and showed all LAN Leds constantly lighted up. Status = off, no connections possible.

If I switch off the power and turn it on again, the FGT instantly showed the above behavior. (As soon as power is applied to the unit the LAN leds light up and nothing more is happening. I waited 1h or more...).

Please see the attached image to see what the FGT does.

I tried to connect to the unit via fortiexplorer + USB Mgmt port, but the device is not recognized by the PC / Fortiexplorer.

Is there another possibility to connect to the device and reflash the firmware?

I am afraid that I have not got the RJ45-managementcable...

I never ever had problems with firmwareupdates (and I upgraded a lot of FGT-devices).

I can only thing of two possibilites:

1.) The firmwareupgrade went wrong.

2.) The FGT was damaged and the firmwareupgrade killed it totally.

7 REPLIES 7
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You need a console, you need support contract , you might need  firmware

No if you have the image and  usb drive, copy it to  the usb-drive and name it image.out and see if it will boot and load the image.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
mcdaniels

So you mean I need the firmware-image on an usb-drive and plug it into the FGT.

Will it boot up with the image on the usb-stick automatically when powered on and  usb stick plugged in, or do I need the console-connection AND the usb-stick+image?

Is it possible to get a console via the usb-cable, or will I have to use the RJ45-managementcable  + putty?

ede_pfau

You're in a fix, a bit.

I would recommend you get a serial connection via Console port working. The serial cable RJ45-to-DB9 is of the 'Cisco type', the same as it's used with many Cisco routers. You could try any RJ45-to-DB9 cable you get hold of.

Hard to say which hardware has failed before you messed up with the firmware update. NEVER, never initiate a firmware update while the FGT is instable! The situation now is worse than it was before.

Two things might have failed: either the internal flash storage (b/c of wear and tear), or the power supply. The latter can easily be replaced, a test would show that the breakdowns are over or not.

A defective flash cannot be replaced, this would mean to submit the unit to Service&Support for hw replacement. No go without a valid contract.

The USB firmware load might work but not if the firmware is already erased or damaged on flash. Reread emnoc's post and rename the firmware image before attempting this. Without a view on the console messages it's more a shot in the dark. If the FGT comes up OK, you've won in a lottery. Still, I wouldn't trust that hardware anymore.

Maybe a sound local Fortinet partner could help you with all this, it's his/her job. The usual tradeoff between time spent and cost applies.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
mcdaniels

Hi folks,

thanks for your input! Well, I did the firmwareupdate , when the FGT managed to boot twice. But you are right, this was no good idea after all.

The FGT is in subscription / supportcontract, so I will contact our fortiseller.

I will report back here.

mcdaniels

Hi,

finally I got it back to work again.

As mentioned I uses a consolecable + usb-stick + latest firmware @ usbstick -> renamed to fortinet.out and plugged it into the FGT USB Port.

Then I fired up hyperterminal and connected to the FGT and powered it up.

Afterwards (after getting messages from the FGT @ Hyperterminal I jumped in the menu of the FTG by pressing a key) and chose Boot with backup firmware and set as default.

The FGT then got the Firmware from USB-Stick and flashed it.

It is working again.

Thx for your support.

ede_pfau

In this case the FGT booted the firmware from the backup partition of the internal flash - not from the USB stick. Boot loading from the boot menu only offers internal flash partition or TFTP download as source.

But glad you made it.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, you made it ;)

I would reformat and  reload the images on primary and secondary  flash.

e.g

diag sys flash list

execute disk list

execute dist format

etc...

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors