Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rg_586
New Contributor III

SNMP Traffic not able to poll VDOM (multiple vdom setup)

Hello

I am working with Fortinet 201E v7.2 1157

Please see diagram in reference to my issue below.

So far, I have setup multiple vdoms. Traffic will go through hit the Root VDOM then it should go to VDOM 1.

To browse to the Firewall I use VDOM 1 - Port 1 sub interface address.

This works fine.

At Global Level I have added SNMP settings and I can see traffic hitting the firewall through packet capture, but then I do not know where it is going.

SNMP polling fails.

My question is; how do I link ROOT VDOM to VDOM 1?

I have tried a VDOM - LINK and I created a rule in the rule base of VDOM 1 to SNMP IP, but this failed, no traffic or logs.

Do I need a static route on ROOT VDOM context to VDOM 1 context.

The setup seems so simple but I am not sure why SNMP cannot talk to VDOM 1 but I can browse to it. Port 1 sub interface is management, I have a HA setup as well, Active-Passive. IMG_2756.jpg

I do not use the management port, this is for local access only.

All help is appreciated, thanks.

1 Solution
rg_586
New Contributor III

This topic can be closed. I have figured out the issue. I changed management VDOM to be Management VDOM 1 as my root and SNMP kicked in and started working. Thanks for everyones help.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
gfleming

This should work. Can you please provide details:

• IP address of the SNMP polling station (solarwinds)
  • IP address of the interface of the FortiGate
  • Ping from polling station to interface is successful
  • What is the path from polling station to interface on FortiGate?

Can you show output of:

show system interface <subinterface> (interface you want to poll)
show system snmp community 

Cheers,
Graham
rg_586
New Contributor III

@gfleming 

I'm working with this Article now, it was updated yesterday and i will make changes at some point to et vdom in community.

rg_586
New Contributor III

@gflemingI believe I know why the SNMP is not working but I may need your input. As of version 7 onwards, and I am now on v7.2.2 as of yesterday.

In version 7 onwards you do not need a management vdom to send out SNMP traffic. I've got SNMP setup same as before, and same as my diagram I posted.

Because I manage my VDOM through VDOM 1 Port 1 sub interface 1 and I do not use the management port.

Do you think I need a vdom-link from VDOM 1 to Root?

Or do you think I need to use the management port for connecting straight onto the Firewall to manage and send traps & queries out?

Or instead of using sub interfaces to manage my firewall, i should just assign a physical port a ip address to manage?

gfleming

If you can ping the IP address of the interface your are polling from the polling station then you don’t need to add any routes.

can you provide the output of the commands I requested?

Cheers,
Graham
rg_586
New Contributor III

@gflemingapologies I was working on something else, unfortunately I cannot send out any configs which is a real shame hence the diagram and my explanations. 

So i've got the right settings, i can ping my sub interface, however the traffic just goes down a black hole from the SNMP server.

I am now on the latest version.

Do I need to setup a VDOM-Link from Root to VDOM 1?

In the root VDOM I have no static routes but when browsing to the firewall it is fine. And I have this all setup on Port1 sub interface 1. Which is really odd why SNMP cannot get out.

I followed the last article I posted in the comment before.

gfleming

Hi it's still not clear can you please be very clear:

- Can you ping your sub interface from the SNMP server? (It sounds like you can but other traffic goes down a black hole, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean)

- If traffic from your SNMP server is traversing your Root VDOM to VDOM 1 why do you insist on polling the interface in VDOM 1? Why not poll the interface in the Root VDOM?

Cheers,
Graham
rg_586
New Contributor III

This topic can be closed. I have figured out the issue. I changed management VDOM to be Management VDOM 1 as my root and SNMP kicked in and started working. Thanks for everyones help.

gfleming

Glad you figured it out! This solution was presented earlier please consider marking the other reply as solution as well, thank you.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/Fortinet-Forum/SNMP-Traffic-not-able-to-poll-VDOM-multiple-vdom-se...

Cheers,
Graham
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors