Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
saudir23
New Contributor

SDWAN over single port

I have two Fortigate 500E's in separate locations (primary site and failover site) that connect to each other via ISP link. I have 7 branch locations that connect to both sites (primary and failover) via the same link. Each 500E has it's own independent Internet connection and I would like to create a failover connection, so if the primary site goes down, all branch gates route to the failover site instead. Because they are all connected via the same link, I only have one WAN port. I set each WAN port to have a secondary address which matches the failover site LAN. I am looking for suggestions on how to configure the branch gates to automatically re-route to the failover site if connection to the primary site is lost.

Network config:

Primary gate: Primary IP 10.0.0.1 / Secondary IP 20.0.0.1

Failover gate: 20.0.0.2

Branch A WAN 1: Primary IP 10.0.0.4 / Secondary IP 20.0.0.4

Branch B WAN 1: Primary IP 10.0.0.5 / Secondary IP 20.0.0.5

Branch C WAN 1: Primary IP 10.0.0.6 / Secondary IP 20.0.0.6

Etc...

1 Solution
Julien87

It's no mandatory, but if you have several site. it's more easy and quickly.

The easiest way is to do according to your practice.

Julien

View solution in original post

Julien
4 REPLIES 4
Julien87
Contributor II

Hi,

Just for confirmation, the indicated primary and secondary IPs correspond to the IPs of the tunnel interfaces ( for be used in bgp neighbor group) ?

If yes, you could add ibgp multipath and a SLA rules to check a Loopback in each HeadQuarter Site, + add rules sdwan.

Best regards,

Julien
Julien
saudir23
New Contributor

Correct. The WAN port on each branch device is the tunnel interface and those are the IPs assigned. I am not using BGP, just static routes. Should I use BGP instead?

Julien87

It's no mandatory, but if you have several site. it's more easy and quickly.

The easiest way is to do according to your practice.

Julien
Julien
saudir23
New Contributor

Thank you for your help Julien. I will set my focus on iBGP.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors