Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Lephongrap
New Contributor II

SDWAN : MAC Address can't outward orientation

Hello everyone,

I have a problem when I create a new rule for SDWan.

when I create a new rule to direct the internet wan line out by MAC address, but after done, the rule doesn't work / can't use MAC, can only use IP.

I don't know why, can anyone help me in this case?

Fortigate-100E 

FortiOS 7.2.2

Lephongrap_0-1668160078669.png

Thanks,

Phong Le
Phong Le
5 REPLIES 5
distillednetwork
Contributor III

Just to confirm, the Foritgiate is the default gateway used by your clients?  If the FortiGate is not in the same network as the clients and there is a router between the client and the FortiGate, it can not learn the client's mac address.

Lephongrap

if this is the case, how can i make it recognize the client's MAC.

Thanks

Phong Le
Phong Le
distillednetwork

You are not able to recognize mac address when it is never seen in the packet.  Once a router is involved the mac address is rewritten because mac addresses are layer2 and routing is layer3.  You can take a packet capture on the fortigate and see the source mac on the packets to verify. 

If this is the case and you want different policies per device, you would need to look at either:

- FSSO for domain machines to gather details on the machines and correlate them to IP addresses.
- Use static/dhcp reserved IP addresses for the machines
- Collapse the routing to the fortigate so it has layer2 connectivity to the devices.

Lephongrap

Thanks for your help.

Phong Le
Phong Le
aahmadzada
Staff
Staff

Updated wrong thread

Ahmad
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors