Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

SD-WAN and none interface

Hi FortiGate admins

Any one used the "none" interface as SD-WAN member?

I wonder if we can use it like a black hole, like when we don't want to route some traffic through any SD-WAN members when some SD-WAN members are down (not to fall in the implicit SD-WAN rule). I know we can do that with firewall policies but I wonder if we can do it at SD-WAN rules level.

AEK
AEK
1 Solution
akristof
Staff
Staff

Hi,

True. For that are SDWAN zones. Recommended best practice is to group interfaces with similar access rights, technology etc into same zone - for example internet zone, VPN zone, etc. And then if you have traffic for VPN zone only, firewall policy with this traffic over Internet zone can be blocked.

Adrian

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
akristof
Staff
Staff

Hello,

No, this SDWAN on FortiOS does not support. You can only use standard blackhole routes but only if you are using update-static-route enabled in health-checks (because of AD values). But this is not very nice solution, much better at least in my opinion is the one you mentioned - with firewall policies.

Adrian
AEK

Hi AKristof

Thanks for your reply.

However I made a mistake.. I forgot that with firewall policy it is not possible since with SD-WAN we can't select a member as destination interface.

AEK
AEK
akristof
Staff
Staff

Hi,

True. For that are SDWAN zones. Recommended best practice is to group interfaces with similar access rights, technology etc into same zone - for example internet zone, VPN zone, etc. And then if you have traffic for VPN zone only, firewall policy with this traffic over Internet zone can be blocked.

Adrian
AEK

You are right Kristof, the solution is as simple as that.. I need to review my SD-WAN lesson.

AEK
AEK
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors