Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ATC
New Contributor

Roadmap for 80C?

Anyone have a theory about the 80C? I see that Fortinet is selling 5 year renewals for the 80C which usually tells me that it is nowhere near end-of-life. It seems really unusual that Fortinet would be supporting the 80C when they also have the 80D and the 80E--and not selling any other C generation models that I know of. Has anyone tried running the 5.6 firmware on it? I'm a little hesitant to even update given that the 80C has always had CPU and memory issues.

3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I have  a FGT80C at home & with v5.6.1. I would NOT run it  in a production env &  with v5.6.x( stay in v5.2 or v5.4 )

As far as roadmap, I would not buy a FGT80C and here's why

1:  lack of continual support TBD in the future

2:  you have soo many better options 51E 80D 90D 60D so on

3:  newer models has a better content process

4: support bundle pricing seems better in D models than C models and with the high thruput

just my 2cts

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ATC
New Contributor

Oh no, I would never buy one. We have several, would love to get them replaced, but unless they are EOL I can't get it approved from higher-ups. We are a small non-prof, so they actually do the job for us. Just debating if we should renew for 5 years to get the discount or just go year to year on it. I just thought it was weird that Fortinet is still supporting it.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes it's not on a  roadmap to be EoL at this time from what I gather.  Don't forget to look at the bigger pictures.

[ul]
  • Now how much saving on 1 vsr5 year support
  • what's your  budget like for now and 3 years out
  • Do you forecast any security-gear refresh
  • how are they performing now[/ul]

All of that would factor in on if I would buy a 1 or more year bundle.

Now on a little tip;

I did a research awhile back and a  51E which has way more to offer than a 80C was actually cheap  with support bundles ( FG-51E-BDL  vrs FG-80C-BDL ) if you do a 1 for 1 comparison.

So a USA school that was looking at small campus deployment,  sold off the  FGT80C off at  $125 a pop and replaced them with a "E" model that had a lot more going. They did get special funding and contributions  that help push the upgrade.

How we word it to nail the deal

[ul]
  • LOWER OPERATION COST
  • MORE 1GE interfaces
  • higher thruput
  • newier model
  • etc.....[/ul]

So I would look at all aspects in your budget planning. We are also push ( Pls don't beat me up; "  I know this is FTNT forum "      ) going with  SRX330s at other locations all for the same  issues due to lower opex. We actually have them deploy at vendor location where we had to manage a "at customer/vendor" location with our own hardware to  terminate  ipsec Site2Sites

just my 2cts

Ken

• PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors