Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
wally_acdr
New Contributor

Restore of fortigate 40C in fortigate 60D

HI Gyus. Mi name is Walter. I want to do a restore a backup of a Fortigate 40C in a Fortigate 30C, because this Fortigate will replace to other. I did the restore but I have a error and can't doing.  Is this possible?   Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I haven't tried it myself but this could possibly convert the config file between fortigate models. If this doesn't work, only way is manual conversion section by section. By the way, most likely you need to match FortiOS version between two units to use this tool. Good luck.

https://www.fortinet.com/...ll/forticonverter.html

ede_pfau

You cannot load a config file from one model into another model. The update procedure will check the header lines in the config file to prevent this - as it doesn't make sense. Most notably port names/numbering is different between models, and if an unknown port name (for example, "lan" instead of "internal") is referenced in a policy, the policy won't load and an error is created.

If at all both units must run the same firmware version and patch level. Then, as @Toshi posted, you can cut&paste sections from the original config file via CLI to the new model. Note that a "new", factory-reset model already has a configuration which may contradict the config commands you enter.

In short, especially on these small models, it would be easier and preferable to recreate the config in the GUI. Single data items, like IPsec VPN PSKs, can then be inserted manually if absolutely necessary.

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors