Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Umesh
Contributor

Requirement of Virtual Wire Pair

Dear Team,

I have gone though Fortigate document but couldn't understand why  we use Virtual Wire Pair  and In which cases Virtual Wire Pair will be used.

Let me explain What I have understood from the documents-

Minimum  to interfaces are required.

There is no IP address needs to be configured.

Traffic from other interfaces cannot be routed to the interfaces in a virtual wire pair.

Behave like bridge and control traffic easily 

Can any one explain it easy to understand.

Thank you.

Umesh P

4 REPLIES 4
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

The idea of virtual wire pair is to introduce firewalling/inspection to the existing setup/traffic without any changes to the IP address/Routes .

For example, lets say you have an existing server which is active, and currently getting a lot of attacks/malicious traffic. The existing setup is not able to block these and you would like to introduce an additional firewall, but you don't want to change the IP addressing . You can introduce virtual wire pair and corresponding policies/inspections.

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

Umesh

Hi Suraj,

As per my understanding lets support we had small network in our organization I made a topology like below 

sanpshot.JPG

mgoswami

Virtual Pair allows you to use UTMs (Security Policies) which can perform along with deep inspections (Layer 7) packets as you can see in the below link:

Creating a virtual wire pair
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Creating-a-virtual-wire-pair/ta-p/190248

srajeswaran

Can you share some more details on your question?

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors