Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
NeilG
Contributor

Request: Allow Fortigate in small business env. to point to external email such as O365 or

Right now in the system section you can configure the Fortigate to use an internal SMTP server for alerts and Authentication. However if customer is a small business there is no ability to point to an Office 365/Exchange Online mailbox or a google enterprise mailbox without having an internal SMTP relay (which becomes another thing to secure).

Is there any chance that Fortigate's will start allowing the SMTP server to be on the WAN/public side. Right now the only to make that work is with a Fortigate to Cloud VPN.

-N

4 REPLIES 4
nswetland
New Contributor

I just use smtp.office365.com as my smtp server and port 25.   use a known email login (system account, whatever).  My office uses Business Premium for their licensing...  is it different at a lower license level?

NeilG

Nswetland - you are able to get fortigate to use external SMTP server for alter emails?

http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-system-administration-54/Monitoring/A...

I'm not asking about having protected devices on the inside of the fortigate talking to Office 365. I am looking for the fortigate itself to communicate with the external smtp servers.

Examples:

Email alerts

Two Factor auth using email

Are you saying its working for you? What is your model/build?

Thanks!

tanr
Valued Contributor II

I've been running a 100D and 300D on 5.4.x with email alerts using gmail (smtp.gmail.com) without a problem, though I'll be changing those over to a different email provider rsn.

Depending on your provider, you'll likely need to specify TLS Security / STARTTLS, and you may need to use port 587 (to require SMTP auth) instead of 25.  Depending on your mail provider and their security, you may need to generate an app password for your FortiGate.

If you tried something like this and it failed, what did the logs show for the failure?

nswetland

NeilG wrote:

Nswetland - you are able to get fortigate to use external SMTP server for alter emails?

http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-system-administration-54/Monitoring/A...

I'm not asking about having protected devices on the inside of the fortigate talking to Office 365. I am looking for the fortigate itself to communicate with the external smtp servers.

Examples:

Email alerts

Two Factor auth using email

Are you saying its working for you? What is your model/build?

Thanks!

Yes.  I get daily email usage alerts/reports from my Fortigate.  I have a 200D-POE and I am running 5.4.1 b1064

I use these settings:

SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com

Port: 25

Default reply to:  my helpdesk email

Authentication : yes

Username:  username@domain.com

Password:  ***

Security mode STARTTLS

These are the settings I use for my email alerts.

For 2FA using email...  I think that's an LDAP/SSO thing.  You point it to your LDAP Servers/Domain Controllers...  those are two different things.  I have my VPN users use their AD login to authenticate, but I haven't set up SSO yet.  

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors