Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jean-Sebastien
New Contributor II

Remove all data on a firewall

Hello,
I want to make a donation to a school of old firewall and I want to delete all information on the hard drive.
What is the best solution?
If I do a factor-reset, a simple restart on the backup partition and I retrieve the information from the firewall on the date of the last update

What is the best practice to really delete all data on a firewall on all partitions?

best regards, 

Jean Sébastien 

# fortigate 

# reset-factory

# remove all data

2 Solutions
jintrah_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Jean,

1. FLASH

You could do a flash format so all data on flash is erased including image file(can re-image as well for use, please see Technical Tip: Loading FortiGate firmware image us... - Fortinet Community).

2. HDD

Another part to take care is the local disk which can be formatted using the below command,

#exec formatlogdisk

Best regards,

Jin

View solution in original post

jintrah_FTNT

Hi Jean,

They are  not the same, while exec disk format <partition number/device ref number> would format one partition/device at a time as issued, the latter formats all partitions and/disks in one go.

Best regards,

Jin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jintrah_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Jean,

1. FLASH

You could do a flash format so all data on flash is erased including image file(can re-image as well for use, please see Technical Tip: Loading FortiGate firmware image us... - Fortinet Community).

2. HDD

Another part to take care is the local disk which can be formatted using the below command,

#exec formatlogdisk

Best regards,

Jin

Jean-Sebastien
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot for your answer.
do you know the difference between the command:
execute disk format 1
and
execute formatlogdisk
Are these the same command?

jintrah_FTNT

Hi Jean,

They are  not the same, while exec disk format <partition number/device ref number> would format one partition/device at a time as issued, the latter formats all partitions and/disks in one go.

Best regards,

Jin

Jean-Sebastien
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors