Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
scheuri
New Contributor III

Re-Use of VM license when deploying VM in Azure?

Hello everyone

Likely a stupid question:

I have (at the moment two) VMs in Azure and I would like to re-deploy them - can I re-use the licenses?

Of course I am deleting the VMs beforehand, I am not sing the licenses several times - I am just not sure anymore if there is anything bound from said deployment to the license I bought and therefore I would need to do something special in order to use the same license on a newly deployed Azure-Fortigate-VM (which will re-use the license from a former VM)

Thanks

1 Solution
abarushka
Staff
Staff

Hello,

License can be used only by single unit at single point of time. It is possible to load license file to new VM as long as old VM is shut down/deleted.

FortiGate

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
abarushka
Staff
Staff

Hello,

License can be used only by single unit at single point of time. It is possible to load license file to new VM as long as old VM is shut down/deleted.

FortiGate
scheuri
New Contributor III

Thank you very much for your reply.

That means I can re-use the same license on a new VM once the old VM with said license is shut down/deleted.

Much appreciated!

abarushka

Hello,

I would like to add that new VM should have the same number of vCPU or lower than the old VM. And in case you have a cluster I would shut down / delete the whole cluster before loading licenses to new cluster units to be on a safe side.

FortiGate
scheuri
New Contributor III

Thanks, that certainly makes sense - using the same parameters in terms of CPU and RAM as the license allows (or less, of course).

Thanks again

abarushka

Hello,

In case you are running recent builds there is no restrictions for memory. VM license only restrict number of vCPUs, but not amount of RAM. You may consider to run a VM with bigger amount of RAM and the same number of vCPU.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate-private-cloud/7.2.0/vmware-esxi-administration-guide/36...

FortiGate
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors