Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
martinsc
New Contributor

Radius connection does not work anymore after upgrading from 7.2.9 to 7.2.10

Hello everybody,

I have upgraded my FGT60F today from 7.2.6 to 7.2.9 and then to 7.2.10
This has been working fine without any issue.

After a while I noticed, that the VPN-Clients were not able to connect anymore.
When I inspected the Radius Server Connection (freeradius), it says:

Connection status: credentials not valid 

I tried a few settings, whether I will get the connection back - but this did not work.

After changing back to 7.2.9 the connection with the radius server worked again.

Any ideas, what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Martin

11 REPLIES 11
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Martin

This is due to a new RADIUS vulnerability.

https://www.fortiguard.com/psirt/FG-IR-24-255

If I'm not wrong the solution is to use RADSEC.

AEK
AEK
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

AEK
martinsc
New Contributor

Thanks for your quick answer!
Martin

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hold on. I had the opposite experience, it didn't work when FGT was 7.2.9 and the freeRADIUS was upgraded to the latest. So I had to exempt the FGT from Message-Authenticator attribute check as I posted before.
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/Support-Forum/RADIUS-attribute-Message-Authenticator/td-p/327120

So do you have this "require_message_authenticator = no" flag set? I would assume it would still work with 7.2.10 with this exception. Or you might need to upgrade the freeRADIUS to the latest.

Toshi

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

But your error is different from my case. Does it fail if you create a new user/set a new credential and try connecting VPN? Run "radiusd -X" to check the detail when it fails.

Toshi

arahman
Staff
Staff

Hi, please make sure your free radius is one of this version 3.0.26, 3.2.3, 3.2.5, 3.2.6. as these are working with FortiGate

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

By the way, mine is 3.0.25 and working fine with 7.2.10.

Toshi

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Toshi, Rahman

Does it mean RADSEC is not mandatory?

AEK
AEK
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

RADSEC is to just encrypt/encapsulate RADIUS UDP traffic in TLS, which is not available with 7.2.x anyway. As long as the server side can handle/reply FGT's auth request message with Message-Authenticator attribute, which most recent/decent servers do, it should work fine.

Or, RADSEC is more to address the security issue if the unencrypted RADIUS traffic goes over the internet.

Toshi

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors