Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Randall_Farr
New Contributor

Radio Resource Provision

Hi all,

I'm running a FGT60D with 5.2.2. I deployed two FAP-221C units about six weeks ago and they mostly been working well. I'm a bit mystified by the Radio Resource Provision function as explained in the "Deploying Wireless Networks for FortiOS 5.2" manual and am hoping someone can give some further details on how this function is supposed to work. The manual states the following:

Radio Resource Provision: Select to enable the radio resource provision feature. This feature measures utilization and interference on the available channels and selects the clearest channel at each access point. The measurement can be repeated periodically to respond to changing conditions.

In particular I'd like to know how to trigger the "measurement". When and how often are the measurements taken? Do I need to manually trigger re-measurement, or is this done automatically on a schedule? Is there a system log created when the Radio Resource Provision function changes a channel on one of the APs?

Sometimes an AP will stay on a channel for days when there is an alternate channel available as defined in the assigned profile. Rebooting the AP is the only way I've found to get the RRP function to notice and use the quieter available channel.

cheers!

4 REPLIES 4
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

You can change the DARRP timers on CLI:

#config wireless-controller timers

#set darrp-wtp-optimize <# of seconds>

#end

Default is 1800 seconds.

When the channel changes you should see an entry in the Wifi Events logs like this:

oper-channelAP FP320B3X1300XXX radio 2 operating channel 11 ==> 6.

Randall_Farr

Good stuff! Thanks Bromont!

Bromont wrote:

When the channel changes you should see an entry in the Wifi Events logs like this:

oper-channelAP FP320B3X1300XXX radio 2 operating channel 11 ==> 6.

I can't seem to find any 'Wifi Events logs'. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm currently using FortiCloud to store my FGT60D logs.

Also, in 'config wireless-controller global' I see the following:

name                : location            : max-retransmit      : 3 data-ethernet-II    : disable mesh-eth-type       : 8755 discovery-mc-addr   : 224.0.1.140 max-clients         : 0 rogue-scan-mac-adjacency: 7 ap-log-server       : disable ap-log-server-ip    : 0.0.0.0 ap-log-server-port  : 0

I haven't been able to dig up any info on exactly what 'ap-log-server' is for. Anyone else know?

Randall_Farr

OK, I found the Wifi logs in the FGT web console: Log & Report -> Event Log -> WiFi

However, I still can't find these events through the FortiCloud interface.

radiofrench
New Contributor

what about mobile radio en ligne is what i was looking for

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors