Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Akmostafa
New Contributor III

RTP streams traverse FortiVoice unit

Hello,

I took a packet capture for SIP and RTP traffic when placing a call between two FortiFone which are asiggned local IP extension on the same FortiVoice unit.

The two phones and the FortiVoice are in the same subnet.

My observation is that the RTP goes from the first phone to the Fortivoice then from Fortivoice to the second phone and vice versa.

Is this normal? can I alter this behaviour?

6 REPLIES 6
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Akmostafa,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Akmostafa
New Contributor III

attached for referencertp---.PNGsip ok from FV to phone 1.PNGsip ok from phone 2.PNGinvite from FV to phone 2.PNGinvite from phone 1 to FV.PNGsip invite 2.PNGsip-invite-1.PNG screenshots for packet capture

1st phone ip 172.16.14.228

2nd phone 172.16.14.215

FortiVoice 172.16.14.45

in the 1st SIP invite : from phone 1: in SDP the ip of the phone (172.16.14.228) is in the connection line

another invite sent from Fortivoice to phone 2 and Fortivoice ip in the connection line of SDP

OK message from phne 2 to fortivoice with phone 2 ip (172.16.14.215)   in the connection line of SDP

ok message from FortiVoice to the first phone: FortiVoice IP (172.16.14.45)  appears in the connection line in the SDP 

the third screenshot showing the RTP going from the first phone to the FortiVoice and vise versa.

RTP packets (172.16.14.45  <> 172.16.14.228)   and ( 172.16.14.45 <> 172.16.14.215)

pchee

Hi Akmostafa,

This behavior is normal as we do not have "Media Bypass" feature in FortiVoice.

Akmostafa
New Contributor III

So if FortiVoice is installed in the DC in HQ and two phones want to talk to each other : the media flow will traverse the WAN to FortiVoice from branch to HQ then from HQ back to the branch?

Akmostafa
New Contributor III

I have posted a reply about an hour ago with screenshots of packet capture but I am not sure if it is deleted or not successfully posted.

Anthony_E

Hello Akmostafa,

Your post has been published now. Thanks a lot ofr your help!!

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors