Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mthomati
New Contributor

Quick questions about the FortiSwitch 28C

Hello, I have some basic questions about the Fortinet FortiSwitch 28C that I couldn' t gather from the data sheets: 1) In standalone mode, on the FortiSwitch 28C, can I make a configured VLAN on the switch routable? For example, I want to add a VLAN on this switch and then configure an IP to its L3 VLAN interface so it can reachable from other routable VLANs. Is that possible with this model? 2) Is the administration of this switch (in standalone mode) via CLI and/or a Web GUI? Thanks in advanced! Michel
7 REPLIES 7
mthomati
New Contributor

Any info on this? Is there a better forum I should use to get this answer? Or can I open a support ticket with this question? Michel
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I don' t think the forum is wrong, only the product is not used often enough to solicit answers. I would mail a Fortinet SE to get answers. If you are not a FTN partner then contact your sales rep to get this info for you.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Sean_Toomey_FTNT

I have a FortiSwitch 28C on my desk at this very moment :) FortiSwitch 28C is a Layer 2 switch. You cannot route between VLAN' s. This is true of any Layer 2 switch. We do carry switch products that are Layer 3 and can indeed route between VLANs like you are asking. That is relevant to standalone mode. If you use FortiLink mode, it is indeed possible to route between the VLAN' s but at that point it' s the FortiGate doing it, not the switch. In standalone mode there is a GUI and a CLI very much like FortiOS. It is a very reduced GUI and CLI as there are far fewer commands relevant to a switch vs a firewall. If you are curious I have attached a screenshot of the dashboard of my FortiSwitch 28C. Even in FortiLink mode it is possible to access the switch via these same methods but obviously what you have the ability to change is different since you are managing VLANs and ports from the FortiGate now.
-- Sean Toomey, CISSP FCNSP Consulting Security Engineer (CSE) FORTINET— High Performance Network Security
mthomati
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback Sean, I do appreciate it. Michel
Sean_Toomey_FTNT

No worries at all, if you have any other switch questions let me know! Cheers!
-- Sean Toomey, CISSP FCNSP Consulting Security Engineer (CSE) FORTINET— High Performance Network Security
Andersan
New Contributor

Hello guys. I have recently purchased 8 x 224B-POE FortiSwitch and 2 x FortiGate 60D. I have some experience with CISCO but I am totally new to Fortinet.

Fai

Fai
Mark_Oakton
Contributor

so, what do you need help with?

Infosec Partners
Infosec Partners
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors