Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
chrbar
New Contributor

Question about "Optional power supply not detected"

Hello, We use FortiGate 3700D running FortiOS v5.2.3 build670 (GA), managed from FortiManager v5.2.2-build0706 150415.

One of our Fortigate gave us several failure (5 times during while 3 last months) about "Optional power supply not detected".

We've check all power plug and all looks good.

Do you know if this failure detection or this alert message could be a or a known error from this FortiOS version?

Regards, Chris

1 Solution
tanr
Valued Contributor II

Power supplies can certainly fail. My experience with other devices has been that the power supplies sometimes act flaky beforehand, so this could be a sign that one of your dual power supplies (assuming your 3700D has dual power supplies) is not healthy.

Does the log information specify *which* power supply gave the error?

I'm assuming you're talking about message ID 22106 - LOG_ID_POWER_OPTIONAL_NOT_DETECTED.

Sounds like a reason to open a support ticket.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tanr
Valued Contributor II

Power supplies can certainly fail. My experience with other devices has been that the power supplies sometimes act flaky beforehand, so this could be a sign that one of your dual power supplies (assuming your 3700D has dual power supplies) is not healthy.

Does the log information specify *which* power supply gave the error?

I'm assuming you're talking about message ID 22106 - LOG_ID_POWER_OPTIONAL_NOT_DETECTED.

Sounds like a reason to open a support ticket.

chrbar
New Contributor

Thanks tanr.

We're going to open a support ticket.

Another question...

We've two electric source: a generic one, and an emergency one (with UPS and generator).

We have to plug each Fortigate power supply in one electric source (generic and emergency line).

What is the best practice: plug primary power supply on emergency line, and secondary power supply on generic line... or the opposite?

Thanks,

Chris

tanr
Valued Contributor II

I hope your emergency power source is always on, or at least the UPS is kept fully charged and the emergency power switches on automatically? Otherwise I don't think there is any benefit of having dual power supplies.

If it was my setup I'd have the primary power supply plugged into the generic power but through a small UPS if possible, with the secondary power supply hooked to the bigger UPS and generator.  The small UPS gives your generator time to start up if needed.

Again, though, a good question for Fortinet support as part of your ticket. They may have different advice.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors