Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ricewu2018
New Contributor

Question about interface vlan settings on Fortigate

Hi, Fortinet GURU's

I've a question about vlan settings. I've checked some documents already, on my platform, those guidance didn't work. 

Topology is easy:

Fortigate1 (ROOT VDOM only) port1  <-----> (port1) Cisco L2 switch (port2) <---> Fortigate2 (ROOT VDOM only) port1

On FG1, vlan interface "vlan_20" is created in port1 with ip 1.1.1.1/30, vlanid 20

On FG2, vlan interface "vlan_20" is created in port1 with ip 1.1.1.2/30, vlanid 20

On Cisco switch port1 and port2, trunk dot1q encapsulation has been enabled. vlan 20 is created. 

Very easy settings. 

However, on FG1 ROOT VDOM, I can't ping 1.1.1.2..... 

Don't understand why... 

Could anyone please advise? 

Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
tanr
Valued Contributor II

Have you allowed ping on the vlan interfaces?  It's under the interface definition, not a security policy.

ricewu2018

Hi, Tanr

I enabled "ping" on vlan interface already. 

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Is the switch allowing tagged packets on both sides?  The FortiGate only does vlans with tags.

Are you pinging from the FortiGate (exec ping) or from a different device?  If pinging from the FortiGate, have you set the source-ip (under exec ping-options)?

What do you see from a traceroute?  Could your routes be misdirecting this?

padraig2392
New Contributor II

Hi,

Did you implement the sub-VLAN interface on the FortiGates with VLAN ID 20 or simply configure the network on the physical port itself?

Is the trunk/tagged link on your Cisco switch using VLAN 20 as the native VLAN? 

Check ARP is resolving "get system arp" and ICMP is allowed via the interfaces on both appliances.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors