Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dmallam5
New Contributor

Problems with FortiClientVPN 7 installation

I downloaded FortiClientVPN_7.0.0.22_OnlineInstaller  for MacOS, but when I try to install it I getthea message "No updates found". MacBook Pro Intel, BigSur 11.4 

15 REPLIES 15
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I had a similar problem when Big Sur came out first time. I don't know which side was the problem but how I fixed it was to clean up the disk thoroughly and removed any remnants of forti-something by following an online article, which I don't remember where, then I could successfully installed 6.4.

dmallam5

Thanks, but it doesn't work for me and FC7. No problems with 6.4 and previous.

toshiesumi wrote:

I had a similar problem when Big Sur came out first time. I don't know which side was the problem but how I fixed it was to clean up the disk thoroughly and removed any remnants of forti-something by following an online article, which I don't remember where, then I could successfully installed 6.4.

EduardoHdez71
New Contributor

Same issue here with MacOs Monterrey (12.2), Mac Book M1 Pro

macie-korte
New Contributor II

Same issue here.  My Mac had some hardware problems.  I took it to the Apple store and got it fixed.  While there. they wiped my hard drive and installed the latest version of MacOS (Monterey 12.2.1).

Because I lost all of my data and applications, I restored from a Time Machine backup.  Something went wrong with the Forticlient VPN restore, so I took steps to completely remove it.  I followed instructions from https://www.imymac.com/powermymac/uninstall-forticlient-mac.html including I did install PowerMyMac, removed all files related to Forticlient, and rebooted.

No matter what I've tried, Forticlient's VPN installer downloaded from https://www.fortinet.com/support/product-downloads#vpn says "No updates found".  I just want to install from scratch!!!  Please help so I can work again!

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 9.03.44 AM.png

naibaho
New Contributor III

I have same issue with MacBook Pro Catalina.

Previously, I have FC 6.0 Installed and try to install FC 7.0 says "No updates found".

Try to remove FC 6.0 by deleting all file related to FC 6.0 still no luck.

Solve by removing FC 6.0 with  ForticlientUninstaller helper found in Application dir then install FC 7.0.

best regard
best regard
macie-korte
New Contributor II

Running the FortiClientUninstaller was a good idea but unfortunately does not work for me. 

I had to restore the FortiClientUninstaller file from my time machine backup first and then run it.  However, it does not working for me.  After I click "Uninstall" it just hangs forever for me - I tried waiting 30 minutes before quitting.   

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 2.15.04 PM.png

macie-korte

Ok, I got it working after some fiddling!  So it seems the forticlient installer will not work if it thinks forticlient is already installed - even if the application files are corrupt or if they have been systematically deleted.

Likewise the forticlient uninstaller will not work if the Forticlient application does not exist.  This means users are stuck in a catch-22 if their installation gets corrupted.  They can't Uninstall because the Uninstaller doesn't think it is installed.  It can't reinstall because the Installer thinks it's already installed and will only allow updates.  So no way backwards and no way forwards.

I think this can and should be improved upon on FortiClient's side.  The Uninstaller should work even if not all the pieces are there,  The Installer should allow a user to install even if it thinks the Application is already installed.

The only reason I was able to get out of this situation is because my Time Machine backup had the FortiClient program and the FortiClientUninstaller still stored under the Applications folder from an old backup.  I was able to bring these files back.  The FortiClient Application itself would not run - just showed a white screen, but bringing it back at least made the Uninstaller run which then made a fresh install possible.

So, problem solved for me.  But if I had file corruption and no backups, from what I can tell there would be no way out of the problem!

inca

OK, so if you remove the following directories on your Mac:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Application Support/Fortinet

rm -rf /Users/<username>/Application Support/Fortinet

rm -rf /Users/<username>/Application Support/FortiClient

Change <username> for your username. 

Now run the installer, it will download the client and allow your to install.

briegler
New Contributor

@inca wrote:

OK, so if you remove the following directories on your Mac:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Application Support/Fortinet

rm -rf /Users/<username>/Application Support/Fortinet

rm -rf /Users/<username>/Application Support/FortiClient

Change <username> for your username. 

Now run the installer, it will download the client and allow your to install.

Thank you - deleting all these files manually allowed a reinstall.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors