Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Dormi89
New Contributor II

Problem updating FortiWLC-50D

Hello everyone!

I got a problem with a FortiWLC-50D running on firmware 8.0 SR1-2 at the moment.

When I am logged in the webinterface I get pop-ups for credentials pretty often (definitly not idle timeout). Sometimes the credentials are accepted and I can go on. Sometimes the prompt just disapeers after entering the credentials and appears again after some seconds. 

My hope is that this is just a problem with the firmware so I tried to update to a newer one.

Updating via the web interface leads to the problem stated above all the time and nothing happens.

Updates via the cli returns the following:

FN-WLC(15)# upgrade controller 8.2-7MR-1

This will overwrite all existing system images. Are you sure [y|n]? y

Package security check failed - image  not installed.

-If the target release package is touched as root mode manually,

you need to obtain a signed version and try again.

ERROR: Please change wrong configurations and then upgrade again, it will exit...

Diagnostics of this session can be found in /opt/meru/var/log/setup.log

FN-WLC(15)#

I tried several versions but the error is always the same. 

What is meant by "If the target release package is touched as root mode manually, you need to obtain a signed version and try again."

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks for your inputs.

Gerald

2 Solutions
kieronrob
New Contributor II

Hi, the credentials constantly popping up is fixed in 8.6.1 build 7. Usually happens with Chrome as the browser so using Firefox is a workaround. Try the update using Firefox. Just be aware that upgrading to the 8.6 branch means a conversion from 32 to 64bit and can take some time. Its pretty well documented, but schedule some downtime for it to occur.

View solution in original post

kieronrob
New Contributor II

Hi, I have you tried copying the file to the controller via ftp/tftp?

It should be supported in the .fwlc format according to the 8.4.5 release notes.

I would also make sure all old images are removed before updating and turn off auto-ap upgrade too.

You can use the show file systems command to verify the current disk usage and the delete flash:<flash> command to free up space by deleting older flash files including the current version image.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kieronrob
New Contributor II

Hi, the credentials constantly popping up is fixed in 8.6.1 build 7. Usually happens with Chrome as the browser so using Firefox is a workaround. Try the update using Firefox. Just be aware that upgrading to the 8.6 branch means a conversion from 32 to 64bit and can take some time. Its pretty well documented, but schedule some downtime for it to occur.

Dormi89
New Contributor II

Thank you. Using Firefox was a real good advise. 

I was able to update to 8.4.4

Starting from 8.4.5 alle the firmware to downlaod are fwlc files.

for example: forti-8.4-5build-2-FWC50D-rpm.tar.fwlc

The problem is that the webinterface of the FortiWLC only allows tar files as firmware images. 

So how to update to any version above 8.4.4

Thank you

kieronrob
New Contributor II

Hi, I have you tried copying the file to the controller via ftp/tftp?

It should be supported in the .fwlc format according to the 8.4.5 release notes.

I would also make sure all old images are removed before updating and turn off auto-ap upgrade too.

You can use the show file systems command to verify the current disk usage and the delete flash:<flash> command to free up space by deleting older flash files including the current version image.

Dormi89
New Contributor II

not yet, but I will give that a try.

Thanks

Dormi89
New Contributor II

Yes copying from the ftp server worked. 

Meanwhile I was able to upgrade to 8.6.1

Thanks for your help

problem solved - thread closed

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors