Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
safwa
New Contributor III

Problem throughput for AP22E I

Hello

I have two access point 222E-I Outdoor and  we configure in mesh mode:

therefore,  the main AP 222E and second AP mesh !!

PLease , i need from Expert fortiAP answer me for four questions :

1)  what is  the maximum range of coverage for AP222E main  ??,

2) what 's  the  maximum height on the wall that allow give a good coverage ???

3)  The question is the most important!!! (  our problem  in the project ) : 

How to increase the throuput   because we have always 1 mbits  !!!   what is parameter (  DCA , Power level , Modulation , ....... )  that allow increase throuput !!!! ???

4)  How to obtain the same throuput between Prinipal AP to Mesh AP ???

So  , i wait a reply from Expert fortiAP and  and help me to  answer me for 4 question especially we have a  problem about throughput  (  question  3  and question 4 )  ... 

i send a picture about the AP22E

thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
JayD_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Safwa,

Can you please share some more information regarding your set-up.

1. On which radio are you forming the mesh up-link?

2. How are you running your throughput tests? (tools, clients, topology, traffic type is udp or tcp etc)

You can find more details about the AP in this data sheet.

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/fortiap-series.pdf

safwa
New Contributor III

Hello

thanks to reply me

1) For topologie :  AP root is linked with internet router and we  remote controller fortigate (customer  side)

+++So AP root give radio 5gh to AP leaf and AP leaf give radio 2.4 GHZ to users 

2)  we use speed test throught phone  and we test throuput without traffic UDP or TCP !!

Please  Jay-D  i need your help  and the most important, how to increase throuput  in mesh for two AP 222e ???  (  we need configuration or what i can doing !!! ) 

===> also i need your reply what's the distance between AP root and AP leaf to be the installation topologie mesh  is correct ????

i wait your answer and your help 

thanks in advance

JayD_FTNT

Hi Safwa,

Thanks for the info. Could you please run one test. Connect your wireless clients to AP root and see what is the throughput achieved. Speedtest app on phones checks the speed based on the internet connection. Suggest to run throughput test between local clients connected behind AP root & AP leaf and use tools such as iperf to run tcp and UDP traffic.

Also, from your above statement "we test throuput without traffic UDP or TCP !!"; then what traffic type are you using to run throughput?

There are many variables here which comes to play in order to achieve good throughput. Distance between the root and leaf AP, type of antenna used, environment/noise. If you are using default external antennas which comes with 222E, it has Peak Gain Dipole: 5 dBi for 2.4 GHz(approx. max range 500 ft), 7 dBi for 5 GHz(approx. max range 800ft). If you need longer range then you need to attach higher gain antenna.

Hope this information helps.

safwa
New Contributor III

thanks to reply me !!

But  you don't answet for this two  question to know  : 

1)  what's the distance between AP root and AP leaf to be  for  the installation topologie mesh  is correct !!! 

2) what 's  the  maximum height on the wall ( pole )  that allow give a good coverage ??? 

i wait to reply me for  two questions !!! 

also i want to thank you  about help me !!! 

thanks in advance

JayD_FTNT

Hi Safwa,

I'm not from support. Can only provide the suggestions for your problem.  Please open a ticket with Fortinet tech support. They should be able to provide the answers.

Regards,

Jay

safwa
New Contributor III

Thanks to Reply me and for your help .... I don't need support tac just i want answer if you know for two question !!! Thanks in advance
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors