Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Daniel_Herbon
New Contributor

Prioritizing SIP Traffic

Hello, Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, I' ve searched for a topic relating to this but perhaps I' m using the wrong search terms. I' m looking for a way to prioritize SIP trafffic (port 5060). I need to guarantee that SIP traffic at one of my Branch offices going to the PBX Server gets priority over everything else leaving the office. We' re starting to notice a decrease in performance and I want to make sure users internet browsing doesn' t get priority over phone calls. Thanks ahead of time.
4 REPLIES 4
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi, try to elaborate a bit your question mentioning FTG box, firmware version, topology, available bandwidth, etc. There' re a lot of news in 4.x fortios regarding SIP. You could check this http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=FD31530 And for priorizing traffic, traffic shapper is the answer; different firmware versions (3.x, 4.x) manages this in very different way. regards

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You might want to ensure the voice bearer channel is also prioritize, so whatever port-range that the VoIP voice traffic uses, setup some strict traffic shaping. I use the traffic shaper on my firewalls to set the min-max guranteed bandwidth and also set the priority queue to high. With g711, I' m budgeting 84.5kbps of traffic per sustained call.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
lmuir
New Contributor

Remember by default any policies which do not have a traffic shaper applied is placed in the high priority queue. So either add traffic shaping to all policies or set the global default to medium. Cheers.
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

It' s actullay placed in queue 0, but overall QoS depends on TOS value and what' s configured in the firewall policy which has it' s own low/med/high value. By ordering the FW policies you have numerous way to adjust for QoS. and lastly, I place all TS fwpolices ahead of any generic non-TS fwpolicies, just for this reason. Voice quality is exceptionally clear over my WAN uplinks

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors