Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
InspirationIT
New Contributor

Printer on internal switch port will not connect - Fortigate 80e

On my fortigate 80E...  

When I try to connect a HP LAN printer to the lan port 2 on the internal switch it will not light up as connected or get an IP address.   If I plug a laptop into that same port it lights up and receives an IP address. 

This is a working printer moved from another location, so the printer is good.    

8 REPLIES 8
gfleming
Staff
Staff

Just to be clear you are saying the interface light on the FortiGate does not light up when the printer is plugged in but it will light up when a laptop is plugged in?

Are you using the same cable to connect the laptop and the printer to the FortiGate?

Have you tried a different cable?

Do the other ports on the FortiGate work with the printer or is it just port2 with issues?

If you plug the printer in to a different device does it still work?

Cheers,
Graham
InspirationIT
New Contributor

Tried different cables and different ports on the Fortigate built in switch.  Same results.  

I'm not sure about actual lights on the switch, since its a bit of a walk back and forth, but the UI does not even show that a cable is connecting when I patch in the printer.  It does show that a cable is connected when I patch in a laptop.   

I was thinking it could be a link speed issue since its a printer, so I put in a cheap switch, connected the printer to the switch, then the switch to port 2 on the 80E... and... it works. 

So, it is working now and I feel like that sort of points to a link speed issue, but its super busy, so I've not had time to take debugging further.  

gfleming

I wonder if it's a crossover/straight-through cable issue? Are all of your cables of the same type crossover vs straight-through? Some devices do not support auto-MDIX and will fail to come up if the wrong type of cable is used.  Your switch and laptop likely support audo-MDIX.

Another though as you say is link speed. However interface should come up at layer 1 even if link speed is misconfigured or auto-negotiation fails. So having no link light really points to a layer 1 issue which would be cable or interface/port issue. You know it's not a port issue as other devices work and the printer works in other devices. So we have to look at the cable and really the only thing left is what kind of cable is it?

Can you please confirm if you are using cross-over or straight-through cables?

Cheers,
Graham
InspirationIT

I can't remember the last time I actually used a crossover cable.   They should all be straight through.  

gfleming

Can you verify/confirm. I understand it's unlikely but it's best to confirm before we proceed with troubleshooting.

Also what model is the printer?

Cheers,
Graham
InspirationIT

I used new cables, so we can consider it verified.  I NEVER purchase crossover cables.  Also, I tested the run of cable from the Firewall to the plug with a cable tester, so I know it is wired correctly.  

gfleming

What model printer is it?

Can you also show output of "show system interface internal2"

Cheers,
Graham
anikolov
Staff
Staff

Hello InspirationIT,

Can you please provide "diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic port2". It might be a speed negotiation issue between the ports, so hard coding the speed might help:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Changing-the-speed-of-a-FortiGate-interfac...

Please let me know if this KB helps.

Regards,

Aleksandar Nikolov
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors