Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Keith42
New Contributor

Presenting public IPs to another router behind a Fortigate

Hello everyone,

I have been asked to give 2 tenants in our building public IP ranges for their use.

Tenant 1 wants 5 public IP addresses and tenant 2 wants 12 public IP addresses

We have 32 public IP's of which we are using 5 on a Fortigate 100D v5.0.9

They must have public IP's and not nat'ed private addresses.

How would I configure this.

Thanks

1 Solution
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi,

I suggest that you put a switch behind the access router and from there run lines to

[ul]
  • your Fortigate
  • tenant1's router/fw
  • tenant2's router/fw[/ul]

This way, the public IPs stay untouched (ie. no NAT). tenant1 needs a /29 subnet with 6 usable IPs, tenant2 a /28 subnet with 14 usable IPs, and you keep a /28 subnet with 14 usable IPs as well. Each subnet uses 1 address for the ISP gateway and one for it's router.

Splitting up subnets really costs addresses. Seems in some parts of the world IPv4 addresses still are abundant...

• Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    5 REPLIES 5
    Keith42
    New Contributor

Is there anyone who can help me with this??

Thanks

ede_pfau
    SuperUser
    SuperUser

Hi,

I suggest that you put a switch behind the access router and from there run lines to

[ul]
  • your Fortigate
  • tenant1's router/fw
  • tenant2's router/fw[/ul]

This way, the public IPs stay untouched (ie. no NAT). tenant1 needs a /29 subnet with 6 usable IPs, tenant2 a /28 subnet with 14 usable IPs, and you keep a /28 subnet with 14 usable IPs as well. Each subnet uses 1 address for the ISP gateway and one for it's router.

Splitting up subnets really costs addresses. Seems in some parts of the world IPv4 addresses still are abundant...

• Ede

Keith42
    New Contributor

Hi ede_pfau,

I have tried your suggestion but it's not working for me. I have found out the ISP supplied the Fortigate and set it up with 2 vdoms.

vdom 1 (router-isp) has a BGP route with our public IP network assigned.

vdom 2 (root-cust) has a link to vdom 1 with all our public IP's defined.

ede_pfau
    SuperUser
    SuperUser

With this scenario I'd get into touch with your ISP and ask them how they had planned a setup like this. A VDOM setup shows that they already intended a multi-tenant setup. They surely have this already running in other places.

Ede

Keith42
    New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I got on to the ISP and they said that because we had a large range they setup the vdom's.

For a fee they will change the Fortigate setup so I guess I'll get them to make the changes.

Thanks

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors