Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Johanvdv
New Contributor

Preselect VPN at FortiClient startup

Screenshot 2024-07-05 142621.jpgSee pic, when starting Forticlient it has a default selection of the "Ricardo America" VPN server. I need however always to use the "Ricardo EMEA" VPN server. Is there a way (can also be a startup with a shortlink that uses specific "switches" for this) that I can always start the FortiClient with the "Ricardo EMEA" VPN server preselected?

Thanks, Johan

6 REPLIES 6
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Johanvdv,

You can try to edit the XML file and set <current_connection_name> to Ricardo America. 

Regards, 

Johanvdv
New Contributor

Which xml file (name)? I have searched both in the program folders and the appdata folders. But cannot find any related xml file. Off course I searched with the switch to see also hidden files set to on. So which file should I be searching and editing? Or creating?

Thanks, Johan

sw2090
SuperUser
SuperUser

you can export the current Forticlient config to an xml file in FortiClient. Then edit that and re-import it.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Johanvdv

Screenshot 2024-07-08 155447.jpgI could export the config via this screen (backup button). I looked into the file (not with xml extension, but conf extension). Found some data: <connection>
<name>Ricardo AMERICA</name> and edited that to the preferred connection. Only to found out after that, that the button to restore a config is greyed out. I guess by my admin. So not possible to use this way.

I am looking for an alternative. I was thinking by using specific switch information in the line of the shortcut that Windows use to startup FortiClient. But also without an effect. 

So still looking for a solution, without contacting admin. Since other users want other default selections I don't think they can realise what I want. So looking for solutions on the client side...

Thanks, Johan   

Quint021
Staff
Staff

Hello @Johanvdv,

Seems like your device is managed by EMS.

If that is the case, you may need to navigate to the Endpoint Profile --> Remote Access and edit the profile assigned to your endpoint. There will be an XML tab to view the settings for the profile where you will edit the default profile. In addition, the ordering of the tunnels will determine which one is default so you can try to change the order manually from the same EMS profile.

Kind Regards,

Johanvdv

I cannot find this. I googled and it seems to me this is something on the admin side. I am on the user side. 

I have been trying an alternative solution. I was thinking by using specific switch information in the line of the shortcut that Windows use to startup FortiClient. But also without an effect. 

So still looking for a solution, without contacting admin. Since other users want other default selections I don't think they can realise what I want. So looking for solutions on the user/client side...

Thanks, Johan   

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors