Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
technik
New Contributor

Powering your 221B' s

After a discussion recently with our local supplier. and a quick post on here. I purchased a 100D FG and 4x221B aps All arrived and ready to be fitted to find no power supplies for the AP' s. I asked the supplier and they said standard Power Adapters came with the device and POE Injectors were optional. Then turns out was a mistake there end. Been quoted nearly £200 for new power adapters. I know the 100D is not POE compatible. I considered some form of CCTV Power distribution box to power them all rated at the 1.5a recommended. Do you power yours without the standard power sources and if so how?
6 REPLIES 6
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Just make sure you use PoE switch or injectors that are 802.3 compliant.
technik
New Contributor

To be honest, I don' t really want to spend the additional £200 on POE switches or AC Adapters. Does each AP require a single port on the 100D or should I be using a single port to a switch then connecting all 4 AP' s to the switch. I will only be setting up two SSID' s internal and guest.
kt000791
New Contributor

With only 4AP' s I would not buy a POE switch, just purchase 4 POE injectors. they are small power bricks to individually provide power over the ethernet cable to the AP' s. You can plug them into whatever vlan capable switch you have and provision correctly. I would recommend Gig.
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Depending on price you could go either with 4 injectors and connect to 4 ports on the Fortigate or a switch with 4 PoE ports... the Fortiswitch 80-PoE or the Cisco SG200-08P would suffice, the switch would then connect to one of the Fortigate ports.
technik
New Contributor

You will have to excuse my lack of understanding, this is the first time I have tried FG AP' s. I have since purchased injectors. If I connect each ap to a port on the 100D. Is the wirelee config all done from the 100D. Will I be able to set a single ip range per wireless ssid?
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Are ports 1-16 currently in the same hardware/softswitch? If so then yes you can simply connect each AP to one of the ports. Under the Wifi & Switch controller section you create a tunnel mode SSID and choose the subnet... All clients connecting to that SSID will be assigned your chosen subnet.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors