Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ArtSyk
New Contributor II

Possible problem with drivers

Hello Guys,

is it possible that FortiClient can cause problems with drivers? Since we have Forticlient in a company we are facing problems with drivers, mainly audio/video drivers. People report that they are not visible via camera or microphone was not found even day ago it was everything OK.

4 REPLIES 4
lol
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Yes this is well possible.

FortiClient comes with different drivers i.e. for transparent AV scanning that might interfere with other drivers installed on your device.

You can list installed drivers with the Windows command "fltmc" and verify if they interfere with the "altitude" of any other driver.

If there is any incompatibility you should report this to technical support.

Regards,

rowdy
New Contributor

@lol could u pls explain "verify if they interfere with the 'altitude' of any other driver"?

How can we tell if "there is any incompatibility"?

Below are the results from my 'fltmc' Windows command:

Filter NameNum InstancesAltitudeFrame
------------------------------------------------------------
bindflt14098000
UCPD4385250.50
FortiAptFilter43249300
fortimon343249200
FortiShield43249000
FortiEDRFsDriver_5.2.2.57742600020
FortiEDRAvDriver_5.2.2.57742600010
FortiEDRWinDriver_5.2.2.57742600000
storqosflt02440000
wcifs01899000
CldFlt11804510
FortiEDRBaseDriver_5.2.2.57741500000
FileCrypt01411000
luafv11350000
npsvctrig1460000
Wof2407000
FileInfo4405000

AlekStruck
New Contributor

We are also having the same issue at our company currently- It's bizarre to me that someone else commented on this after almost 2 years. 

@lol I got the same results as Rowdy and have the same questions. I'm not sure how this altitude order helps us at all. When I look at the drivers being used by the camera none of them are minifilter. The ones I'm seeing are: ksthunk.sys, SecureUSBVideo.dll, usbvideo.sys, WdmCompanionFilter.sys, and FortiDeviceGuard.sys
When I use any 3rd party laptop with our systems, they work fine. On those machines the active drivers are the same, minus the FortiDeviceGuard.sys. This makes me believe the issue lies with the "FortiDeviceGuard.sys" file.

lol
Staff
Staff

Hello,

> A filter driver that has a low numerical altitude is loaded into the I/O stack below a filter driver that has a higher numerical value.
source: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/ifs/load-order-groups-and-altitudes-for-m...

This means a filter driver with a higher altitude might have an impact on filter drivers below in the stack with a lower altitude.

A software that comes with for example encryption filter drivers could interfere with a software providing for example filter drivers for AV.

A quick workaround would be to uninstall the software providing the filter drivers causing issues.
And then report the problem to Fortinet Technical Support for analysis if the cause is a Fortinet product.

If the affected software is not in the fltmc list it should normally not be impacted by the filter driver.

Regards

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors