Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ttudboz
New Contributor

Poor lan performance

Hi guys, first post here. I called into support and the tech was basically just guessing, and I' m also not sure the issue is with my fortigate, so here I am. I have a fortigate 100d, then on my LAN I have 3 DELL 48 port switches. Two of them are 100M PoE switches that connect back to our offices, and then a 100M non-PoE switch for various stuff like printers etc that don' t require PoE. The PoE switches are running data on vlan1 and voice on vlan41. Dell Switch 1 is connected directly to the fortigate and then has clients The PoE switches are a " stack" and they also connect back directly to the fortigate, then together with a stacking cable. Here is the thing. The fortigate has a built in 1000M switch, so I figure, why not use it for my servers? And my workstation of course When I am connected directly to the fortigate LAN ports, I get amazing, gigabit speed. When I connect my laptop and servers both directly to the DELL switches, I get amazing speeds. EVEN when I am connected to the stack and the servers are connected to the standalone switch. during this scenario, the ONLY way these DELL switches are communicating is through the fortigate, and speed is awesome! (100M, but still) When I connect to the DELL switch and my file server is connected to the fortigate switch, performance is AWFUL. well below 100M, more like 56k :o Any ideas?
1 REPLY 1
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Welcome to the forums. From what you posted, the only difference I can see is that when your servers are connected to the FGT, the speed...ah...sucks. My guess would be that there is a duplex mismatch and the errors are quite large. The way to check that is from the command line.
Dia[gnose] har[dware] dev[ice] nic[info] <port>
Look at the error counters when the problem exists. Make sure the FGT and the server are both full duplex at whatever speed.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors