Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RobertReynolds
Contributor

Plenum Rated FortiSwitch?

I've been asked if any of the POE FortiSwitches are Plenum rated and I cant seem to find any documentation about this at all, even on the Rugged FortiSwitches..

Can anyone advise if any of them are please?

1 Solution
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

I have never heard of this designation being applied to any switch. Is the switch going to be installed in a plenum space? It is not uncommon for network cables to go through plenum space, but switches are normally located in the server room or other non air vent parts of the building. Here is an excerpt concerning plenum space: A plenum space is a part of a building that can facilitate air circulation for heating and air conditioning systems, by providing pathways for either heated/conditioned or return airflows, usually at greater than atmospheric pressure. Space between the structural ceiling and the dropped ceiling or under a raised floor is typically considered plenum; however, some drop-ceiling designs create a tight seal that does not allow for airflow and therefore may not be considered a plenum air-handling space.[1] [link]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum_space[/link]

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

I have never heard of this designation being applied to any switch. Is the switch going to be installed in a plenum space? It is not uncommon for network cables to go through plenum space, but switches are normally located in the server room or other non air vent parts of the building. Here is an excerpt concerning plenum space: A plenum space is a part of a building that can facilitate air circulation for heating and air conditioning systems, by providing pathways for either heated/conditioned or return airflows, usually at greater than atmospheric pressure. Space between the structural ceiling and the dropped ceiling or under a raised floor is typically considered plenum; however, some drop-ceiling designs create a tight seal that does not allow for airflow and therefore may not be considered a plenum air-handling space.[1] [link]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum_space[/link]
RobertReynolds

Thanks, I had a look at the Rugged datasheets but couldn't see them listed as plenum rated?

The customer is looking for POE Switches for lighting so I'm guessing they may be for a ceiling cavity.

I had only previously heard of plenum rated cabling :)

SecurityPlus

Please keep in mind that mot all airspace above a dropped ceiling is plenum airspace. Is it not possible to mount the switch outside the plenum cavity? If the switch is mounted in plenum airspace I presume that the power cables powering the switch would also need to be plenum rated.
packetpusher

Good catch "SecurityPlus".

packetpusher
Contributor

Not a lot of choices. Ref. the attachment. ----------------------------------- ORDER INFORMATION Product SKU Description FortiSwitch Rugged 112D-POE FSR-112D-POE Ruggedized L2 PoE Switch — 8x GE RJ45 (including 8x PoE/PoE+ capable ports), 4x GE SFP slots, FortiGate switch controller compatible. FortiSwitch Rugged 124D FSR-124D Ruggedized L2 Switch — 16x GE RJ45, 4x GE SFP slots, 8x shared media pairs (including 8x GE RJ45, 8x GE SFP slots), FortiGate switch controller compatible. For a list of available Transceiver modules, see the Fortinet Transceivers datasheet.
packetpusher

ssachdeva_FTNT

Rugged switches are not plenum rated

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors