Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
themanyandonlyglenn
New Contributor

Packet duplication not done in session return packets

FortiGate 7.4.3 using both VM and 60F platforms.

I set up two tunnels in a zone with duplication=force outbound and de-duplication enable inbound. On the origination side, outbound packets are duplicated on both tunnels and are de-duplicated on receiving end. This works both ways. However, if I ping or try a TCP connection, the response packets sent from the other end are not duplicated.

I ran the Debug Flow and it clearly states in the log if it is duplicating or not, and for established sessions for "return" traffic it always picks the input interface of the session to send the data to, and does not take the extra step to duplicate to the other zone member.

Is this by design, a bug, or a configuration error? I scoured config flags to see what is related to duplication and found nothing there.

1 Solution
ssudhakar
Staff
Staff

Hello there :

The duplication works only in original direction. 

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Packet-duplication-in-SD-WAN/ta-p/258997

Hope that helps! 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ssudhakar
Staff
Staff

Hello there :

The duplication works only in original direction. 

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Packet-duplication-in-SD-WAN/ta-p/258997

Hope that helps! 

themanyandonlyglenn

I appreciate the response and I read that tech tip before. I am uncertain then as to the usefulness of this feature unless one is only streaming UDP. I was hoping this feature would give us resiliency with no outage. If the receiver is randomly picking the ingress link (I suppose whoever arrives first) for that ping or TCP connection etc, and that link happens to get cut, then replies are lost until we recognize the tunnel is down and all sessions are on the other tunnel.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors