Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jaym222
New Contributor

PBR for Internet facing servers using vIP/SNAT

Hi I want to cut my location over to a new MPLS backbone and set the default route for the network to the MPLS next hop IP. The issue is I have web servers on our DMZ that currently use IPs on our current primary internet circuit that need to remain there until a later date. Can a PBR be set up for this. VIP Example: Web Server A port13(Verizon): 222.222.111.111 -> Map To IP: 10.10.10.10 Can I use a PBR so that if someone on the internet hits this webserver will get a response? How would the PBR look? Possibly this: Protocol: 0 incoming interface: port11(DMZ) Source Address: 10.10.10.10/32 Destination Address: 222.222.111.111/32 Destination Ports: from 80 to 80 Force Traffic to: Outgoing Interface:port13(Verizon) Gateway Address: 222.222.1111.1
9 REPLIES 9
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Why so intent on sticking with (legacy) policy based routing? Interface based is far easier.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
jaym222
New Contributor

I am not intent on sticking with it, I am only intent on keeping the servers up! I am not familiar with interface based, I see static/dynamic or PBR as my routing options on the Fortigate. Thanks!
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I think Asymmetrical routing might have to be enabled if the traffic does not followed the expect uRPF checks. set asymroute enable but if I' m hearing you right, you want to leverage the MPLS backbone as the next-hop and still keep your internal-internet carrier. I would also worry that your MPLS might be enabled for uRPF checks also, if the VIP outside address is NOT expect over that MPLS link. just my quick 2cts

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
jaym222
New Contributor

Based on the responses, would my PBR not work as it is configured? I am getting the sense that it will not be easy to do what I was hoping, I could be wrong but if someone could demonstrate how another routing configuration could work it would be very helpful. Thanks Again
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

without seeing a map or topo, it would be hard to determine if PBR would work. Your diagram is not clear, but the areas to look at would be all that was mention earlier, and most of those would variables that you would have to address or looked at more closer, to even remotely determine if this setup would work If all of the variable and areas of concerns are figured out, than it should work.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
jaym222
New Contributor

I am not sure what is not clear Currently entire network uses our Verizon internet circuit(current default route on Fortigate) Webservers on DMZ use VIPs from the Verizon IP block and are statically Natted to private DMZ IP addresses Want to move default route from Verizon to new MPLS for entire network except for the Webservers which will stay on the Verizon Circuit and keep using the current vIPs Thanks
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

to add to the fuzz, I think the setup and the task both are clear. PBR is an alternative to routing when the routing decision is NOT based on the destination but on some other criteria. In your case, this specific route to the old WAN interface should be chosen for a specific source address. So IMHO setting up a PB route for this is perfectly OK - and the only means to achieve this. The PB route will take care of outgoing traffic. You already posted that for incoming traffic you will use a VIP. The FGT will remember the interface the traffic came in, and will send the reply traffic back to the correct interface. The real question is: can your external users find the correct (old) interface? That is, is the external IP _only_ routed to the old WAN interface? If so, I don' t see any problems with your setup. BTW, please disregard Bob' s post. Methinks he' s mixed up PBR with VPN interface/policy mode. Right?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

ORIGINAL: ede_pfau BTW, please disregard Bob' s post. Methinks he' s mixed up PBR with VPN interface/policy mode. Right?
Errr... yeah. OOOps...

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
jaym222
New Contributor

Thanks for all the info! Appreciate it
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors