Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RyanS
New Contributor

Only Administrator Can connect to SSL VPN

So i don't know what is going on.

I installed the full FortiClient onto my laptop. As the administrator I can get connected and everything works. But when I log in as a local user I keep getting this error. 

unable to establish the vpn connection. the vpn server may be unreachable -5 

Any ideas as to why i am getting this?

5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

In your user(s) that's defined are they associated with the same group as the "Administrator"  or whatever group for the sslvpn?

e.g

THFGT90D (root) # show user group config user group     edit "SSLuser01"

set member "kfelix" "bob" "jgonz" "jmike" "jaime"     next

And have you validate the user credentials?

Also can you login via the webport with the user?

I would start with thos issues 1st and review the firewall-policy

edit 22         set uuid 23b4542a-ccc4-51e4-9428-8bf7db135bd8         set srcintf "ssl.root"         set dstintf "virtual-wan-link"         set srcaddr "all"         set dstaddr "all"         set action accept         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"         set groups "SSLuser01"         set nat enable     next

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
gschmitt
Valued Contributor

I think he means a local user on his laptop 

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Ryan can  you look at the log files on the forticlient for any hints ? Can you run as "administartor" the client from the local user ?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
RyanS
New Contributor

I don't see much in the log files that are saying why I am getting the Unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be unreachable (-5) when logged in as a local user on my laptop.

But when I right click FortiClient and run as administrator It works perfectly.

(I am using the same VPN credentials when logging in as a local user and when I run as administrator so the user setup on the FortiGate I am connecting too is good)

This is an issue as I do not want all of my users to have admin privileges on their machines if they require remote access by SSL VPN. 

asho22
New Contributor

IS there any fix on this issue?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors