Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Tweesiee
New Contributor III

One license for FortiGate HA Cluster?

Probably a stupid question but I need to be 100% sure before we order new licenses. 

One of our customers needs new licenses for a FortiGate HA Cluster. 
I'm pretty sure you need two licenses, one for each FortiGate. Am I correct?

Kind regards

4 REPLIES 4
abarushka
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Yes, it is correct. License is required for each unit in the HA cluster (2 physical units or VMs - 2 licenses).

FortiGate
Christian_89
Contributor III

Hello 

It is important to know that each Fortigate must be registered with the same license.
It is not useful to register one Fortigate with ATP and the other with UTP.

The cluster will take over the ATP license

mgoswami
Staff
Staff

Hi,

For HA cluster, every device in the cluster should have the same level of licensing.

Regards,

Manosh

Shilpa1
Staff
Staff

Hello Tweesiee,

Typically for a FortiGate HA (High Availability) Cluster, you would require two licenses, one for each FortiGate unit in the cluster.

This is because the HA Cluster involves two physical FortiGate devices that are configured to work together to provide redundancy in case of a failure of one unit. Each FortiGate unit requires its own license to operate, and both units need to be licensed with the same feature set and subscription term.

It's important to make sure that both FortiGate units have valid licenses for the same features and subscription term to ensure that they can synchronize and operate properly as an HA Cluster.

Regards,
Shilpa 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors