Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Matt_T
New Contributor

Object deletion from FortiManager to Fortigate

Hello,

I am in the process of learning and understanding FortiManager and what it can do for my FortiGates.   

I have one FGT that I am working on that was in-sync with both Config and Policy.  I changed a policy object, added a local user and added it to a group, and proceeded to install the change to the FGT.  Upon review in the Installation preview it listed out a bunch of things that were going to be deleted on the FGT.  I did not make such config changes on the FMG nor did any of my co-workers.  The FGT had not been edited either, everything was in-sync prior to the changes on the FMG.  

So... what mechanism determines what things are to be deleted? is there a way to see this in the GUI? can I alter this so that it doesn't delete things unless I say so?  is there a flag to check or something?

Just trying to understand what this thing is doing so that I or my co-workers don't delete something important and so that I can explain it to management.

Thanks,

MT

1 Solution
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Matt

FMG deletes address objects that are not used in FG, but it keeps in its DB so it is reinserted in FG in case you use it in a policy. You can still check on your FG that the object that is about to be deleted by FMG is doesn't have any reference.

AEK

View solution in original post

AEK
1 REPLY 1
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Matt

FMG deletes address objects that are not used in FG, but it keeps in its DB so it is reinserted in FG in case you use it in a policy. You can still check on your FG that the object that is about to be deleted by FMG is doesn't have any reference.

AEK
AEK
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors