Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Bistrol
New Contributor II

Number of Tier supported - MC-LAG

Hi the community,

I'm starting to deploy a lot of Fortiswitch for a new project.

All switches will be managed by FGT 1000F.

Tier-1 is composed by 2 FS-1048E (MC-LAG ICL between them).

Tier-2 is composed by 2 FS-548D (MC-LAG ICL between them).

Tier-3 is composed by sometimes FS448 chained using STP, sometimes with FS448 with MC-LAG ICL, ...

All is working as desired in Tier-1 and Tier-2.

But impossible to have communication on a device connected on a switch in tier-3. If i configure these switch to Tier-1, communication works good.

All switches are running 7.2.3.

Is there some limitations on the number of MC-LAG i can configure in the design ?

Regards,

Simon

5 REPLIES 5
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Simon,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Simon,

I have found this reddit discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fortinet/comments/w4afd5/mclag_of_3_or_more_fortiswitches/

and this docs document:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiswitch/6.4.2/devices-managed-by-fortios/617590/mclag-configu...

Could you please tell me if it answers your question?

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Bistrol
New Contributor II

Hi Anthony,

Unfortunately, this discussion doesn't answer my question.

The fact here is that a switch in Tier-4 is well recognized and visible in the Fortigate, but communication on its ports doesn't work.

If i plug this switch in Tier-2, all is working fine...

I attach a printscreen of my deployment.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Simon

Simonschema tier1-4.jpg

ebilcari

Basically the tier will not block the communication on the ports. Maybe there is something in the configurations of the 40GB ports. Did you try with normal (non Q) ports? 

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
Robbiem77

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue you were having? I am designing a network which will pretty much replicate what you have here but with 448E switches but I've never created 4 tier FortiLink solution. Maximum I have done is 3 so am hoping there is not a limit?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors