Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sanderl
New Contributor III

No reliable connection with hardware lan switch and bridged ssid

Ok hold on, this is going to be hard to believe and to describe. I have troubleshooted a lot and cannot find out where the problem lies. Suddenly I had this vague problems, of sites not loading, DNS not resolving, etc. Maybe related to upgrading to 7.0.10 or 7.0.11. Maybe not.

What does not work (but had always worked like this - for years):

• I have a (existing) hardware switch "lan" with an SSID bridged to that (no VLANs).
  • The IP address is on the lan switch and the SSID is bridged.
  • Created a new test policy, top placed any/any allow, no filtering, NAT to internet.
  • When I connect a mobile to this SSID and start roblox (don't ask - this is a prio 1 for days now) it does not load any game.

What does work:

• I have created a (new) test vlan (99) with an IP address on it, and a test SSID bridged to that vlan (99), connected to the lan switch as my FortiAPs reside there.
  • Created a new test policy, under the top placed any/any allow, no filtering, NAT to internet.
  • When I connect a mobile to this SSID and start roblox it does load games.

EDIT: Roblox is "the" way of proving/testing above. As described a lot more is not working smoothly, but a refresh of the page will do. Roblox seems to be a lot more  "picky" in the coneection stability.

Both "networks" are giving out the same DNS servers.

I have 6 VLANS connected via the lan hardware switch which all work(ed) well for years. Of which 3 have an IP adress on the VLAN interface and 3 are connected in a software switch with a port.

--> this can also be a separate topic because since this week I discovered the Fortigate does not allow me to select a VLAN anymore as a member of a softwareswitch (!), but this used to work and still works. Nothing to find in any release notes...

I cannot find any mentioning of any change in behavior. Also I have no active subscription on this device (81E) and thus cannot call support.

Is there anything I can do to (more) narrow down this issue?

62 REPLIES 62
Stephan3tha
New Contributor

Verify hardware connectivity and ensure that the hardware LAN switch is properly connected to the network and the bridged SSID is properly configured. Check the cables, ports, and settings to ensure that everything is correctly set up. Check for network interference: Check for any network interference that could be affecting the connectivity between the hardware LAN switch and the bridged SSID. This could be caused by other devices or network equipment that are causing interference with the wireless signal.

sanderl
New Contributor III

Hi Stephan3tha, thanks for the reply. Obviously all is checked over and over again. All seems fine.

Interference is not the issue... Same AP, different ssid and vlan.

All is connected exactly the same for ssids test99 and "normal" ssid...

See configs and layout above. test99 is a vlan (99) normal sidd is a vlan (10). Same policies (on top) and on same FortiAPs, both ssids bridged (one to vlan 99, one to vlan 10)

Both ssids are thus on the same AP, on the same radio...

shoot me...

sanderl
New Contributor III

I am going to start a new topic due to recent changes and hard to understand starting point.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors