Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
obi
New Contributor

No logs on FG 110C

Hi there, I' m using a Fortigate 110C with Firmware v4.0,build0672,130904 (MR3 Patch 15). Now I have the problem that I can' t see anything in the " Log&Report" section. In the Log and Archive Statistics Widget on the Dashboard I can see everything but only a few lines. Do I have to activate anything via CLI before it works? Thanks, obi
2 REPLIES 2
Alivo__FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Obi, this can have multiple causes: 1. logdisk needs to be formatted: in cli: #get sys status you will receive similar ouput: Version: FortiGate-1000C v5.0,build0228,130809 (GA Patch 4) Virus-DB: 16.00560(2012-10-19 08:31) Extended DB: 1.00000(2012-10-17 15:46) Extreme DB: 1.00000(2012-10-17 15:47) IPS-DB: 4.00345(2013-05-23 00:39) One of the lines will be either: Log hard disk: Available or Log hard disk: Need Format <-- If this is the case then the logdisk needs to be formatted: #execute formatlogdisk This procedure is instant and requires a reboot of the device. Best practice is to do so in maintenance hours with backup taken. If the status says: Log hard disk: Available Then it will be likely down to logging settings. Few things need to be checked: Where do you want (can) log: memory, disk, forticloud, syslog, fortianalyzer... lets start with basics - CLI commands to overview current setting: get log disk setting get log memory setting get log gui Common mistake or misconfiguration (I am not saying who is to blame) is that log device is set as disk yet logs are displayed from ie. memory or vice versa. I am not sure if 111C comes with harddrive so I will use config for memory logging - same can be done for disk logging: config log memory setting set status enable end config log gui set log-device memory end Now check the logs. Same settings can be done for disk (you want to however disable logging to memory in this case) I do not need to mention that logging itself needs to be enabled on policies + extra settings per utm profiles. Some filters can be used too: config log disk filter config log memory filter ....etc I prefer to use CLI commands all the time as the CLI is almost always correct rather than the GUI. CLI guides can be found: docs.fortinet.com

livo

obi
New Contributor

Livo you are the KING! the commands: config log memory setting set status enable end and config log gui set log-device memory end are the solution. Thanks alot for your perfect description. Maybe something changed whlie I made some firmwareupgrades on the firewall. Thanks again! obi
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors